Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Fuel Tank Breather

1st off i've used the search and read just about everything going on removing the carbon can, but........

1. How safe is it to poke the fuel vento pipe into the wing? Is there any chance of the fumes causing a fire? Or being really an.l will they strip all the rust proofing off and cause rust!

2. Can someone clarify exactly what the affect of bloking off the carbon pipe from the inlet and ditching the venting switch completely is? Will it coke up the engine quicker or something. And why does this mod give you better fuel economy :?:

:-P sorry, being dumb as ever.........

Why do you won't to move it?

I've moved mine as i needed the hole it sits in to run pipe work for my bmc cda (induction kit). My CC now rests on its side under the induction kit providing support and leaving the hole free.

it looks horrible though :) just block off everything like shown in the attached picture (which I got from either here or vwvortex, holla). Shouldn't be a problem then, I think anyways :)

As for the mileage, I've no idea... I don't even know how that filter works, except it does something with petrol fumes to make them usable again, but that they usually don't function very well after 60-80k miles.

The CC just happens to slot very neatly beside the radiator next to the driver's side headlight ;-)

Leave the blue frequency valve connected otherwise the ECU will throw a code on it.

Personally I'd move it to beside the rad and leave it connected. It's only fuel vapours at the end of the day and doesn't affect anything. Some MOT testers will notice the hose dangling in the wing (and smell the vapours) and fail you on that.