Sign in to follow this  
FTM1975

Head fixed at last!!!

I recently purchased my first rado (1991 valver) only to discover after a few days that there was a problem with the Head gasket. admittedly this is probably due to my incompetence at the time of purchase but you live and learn dont you, and think i have just about come to terms with the fact a was probably had!!!!!!!!!

Anyway I have just got off the phone to the garage and they have fixed the head, re-skimmed it, replace the cylinder seals at my request and comp tested it and its all looking good.

Am picking it up tommorrow and must admit i cant wait.

was just wonderng weather I will be able to notice any difference now that this has been done. Apart from the head its only done 83K (approx average 6k per year) and is in really good condition. I have read that the head should really be done on a 16v at 100k anyway so would ave been due soon anyway.

Another thing i was wondering is that now I have had this done, should I take it easy on the engine for a few hundred miles just to ensure that it wears in OK.

i reckon you should notice a difference mate. having the head skimmed etc should mean decent compression and therefore decent performance.

i reckon it will feel fekin lovely mate :)

i hope so mate, i cant wait. I have recently gone from a Mk2 8v golf GTi to this rado and although speed wise there doesn't seem to be a massive difference, the continual power delivery through the revs is much better than the golf pressumably because of the 16v's

Still a new head, these welsh roads, and rado makes a great consilation for a 50 mile daily commute!!!!! :D :D

absolutely mate - i do 40,000 miles a year and every one of them in the vr! love it.

the 16v definately pulls stronger towards the top of the rev range than the 8v.

it should all be spot on when you pick her up :)