Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

G60 Intercooler options

On behalf of a friend who recently bought a saph cossie 4x4 intercooler for the g60. Its becoming a bit of a mission as theres is hardly any space for a neat install. What are the other options for a G60, i mean off the shelf stuff which is good and goes straight on are there any off another car that again need little mods to fit.

The only one that easily fits is the Golf G60 intercooler as it slots in nicely infront of the Rad.

I would say your best off ringing darren at g-werks for an easy solution

well, there are several ways to go:

firstly, the golf rallye (or was it all g60s?) intercooler is a straight swap for the original corrado ic, but is much more efficient. A step up is a front mounted intercooler. If you want to go big, you should really invest in a bigger front bumper. If OEM is your style though, you can fit a smaller intercooler right behind the grill.

Bahnbrenner can also supply you with something called a liquid air intercooler kit, which is some fancy way of cooling air, I guess via a radiator. Check it out here.

That's about all the options I know about.

Here's a pic of a "behind the grille" intercooler. Smaller than the original, and ten times as efficient :)

100_7741.jpg

But selbekk your answer is great if you want to spend alot of time and moeny putting the setup in, then you can invest in a RS4 bumper like mine and have a custom FMIC taking full advantage of the holes in the front. But this route was VERY costly in comparison the the Golf G60 (not the Rallye as it's different mountings make it foul on the car and more difficult to fit I believe!

But Dub Style asked for an easy fit with little modification to make. This has to be the Golf G60 also thinking about it the off the shelf Jabba kit and I'm pretty sure darren aka g-man will have an off the shelf kit!

And the Bahnbrenner kit I think is basically a Charge Cooler. Once again darren is a bahn brenner agent so you could get it from him. But still I would say the Intercooler is a better option!

aren't the golf g60 intercoolers VERY costly though, even 2nd hand?

How much did you pay for your fmic set up? What was really needed?

They are costly - but how far do you want to take it, costly intercooler but easy and simple fit.

My intercooer setup was alot more than a G60 fit, the Forge intercooler was as much as a Golf G60 one, but then I had all the custom fit, pipework, custom made hoses etc etc.

Was it really needed?? Well knowing as far as I wanted to take the car - I think it was!

I have had much the same as Blue Joe but I used a Audi RS intercooler under an RS4 bumper (Crash) RS2 now which was the only option so that the vents were used for the intercooler and oil cooler. This also allowed me to move the Rad down so that some of the air which goes into the three bar grill goes into the engine bay