Sign in to follow this  
Petros

Oil Temp Sensor

Hey folks,

Day 3 of Corrado ownership and the first problem has surfaced. Yay!

Over the weekend, the MFA was quite happily reading the temp of my VR6's oil (sitting around 110, rising to 125ish when pushed hard).

Today, the computer is only displaying "---". I went for a 30 mile run at a range of speeds up to 70mph, but not exceeding 3000rpm until the last 8 miles or so, and the temp was still reported as "---".

As I understand, this reading is normal until the oil reaches 50 degrees. However, I'd have thought 30 miles over 45 minutes should have warmed the oil to at least that. Coolant temperature rises as expected and sits within the the normal range. Oil level is fine (the sump appears to be full in fact).

I reckon the temperature sensor has died, or become disconnected, given that all other functions of the computer seem unaffected.

Do these sensors fail often? Are they easily cooked by overworking the engine (although I didn't think an oil temp of less than 140-150 should be problematic)? Is there a fuse or relay on this circuit that I should check?

Sorry if this is a FAQ; I had a quick search/browse but didn't find anyone with this exact problem.

there is an oil temperature sender located on the oil filter housing which is the most likely culprit - having said that i've replaced mine and i've still got the same problem!

Thanks for the replies chaps, I'll get my multi-meter out tonight and have a hunt around...

Where does the wire I'm checking terminate (I assume it begins at the sender by the oil filter housing).

A guy gave me this excellent tip for this same problem.

It seems that the connector for this sensor at the fusebox can work itself loose. You need to remove the bits of dash under the stearing wheel to get at the fusebox, then get right under (lying on your back if need be) and feel right up behind the back of the fusebox. IIRC it's right up the top at the back.

You should feel a connector there. Click it back in if it's loose and hopefully this will solve your problem.

I had the exact same problem with mine when I got it and this solved it.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Petros, I just noticed you're in Glasgow too. If you don't get what I mean above PM me and I could probably show you.

Took a while to get round to looking at this - one of the anti-roll bar connecting rods broke, so I was concentrating on fixing that first.

Had a look at it yesterday, I removed the lower part of the dashboard - under the steering wheel - and tried to find the wire coming from this sensor. I didn't have enough light to see what I was doing, so I didn't touch anything and put it all back together.

After putting it back together the sensor started working again. I figure the wire must have been loose, and my removal & replacement of the dash parts has knocked it back into place. Sweet! :D

Anyway, it'll probably come loose again before too long, so I'll still need to go back in and make sure its firmly seated.

ar man, Ive just put my dash back together - I have the same problem!

best go and look at it!

A guy gave me this excellent tip for this same problem.

It seems that the connector for this sensor at the fusebox can work itself loose. You need to remove the bits of dash under the stearing wheel to get at the fusebox, then get right under (lying on your back if need be) and feel right up behind the back of the fusebox. IIRC it's right up the top at the back.

You should feel a connector there. Click it back in if it's loose and hopefully this will solve your problem.

Do you know if its a green wire?