Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Wheel spacers

Hi

I've heard lots of people use wheel spacers when they have new alloys fitted. However what exactly do wheel spacers do for the wheels? Do they make the wheels stick out further towards the wheel arch... for example if the alloys are rubbing slightly on calipers would fitting spacers solve this problem?

Is it not advisable to stick wheel spacers on standard wheels... for example if I wanted my standard wheels to move slightly further towards the wheel arch?

Cheers

Matt

I think the general thing with them is for them to make the wheels closer to the arches really, and er...maybe allow some cold air onto the brakes? No idea lol

you have the correct idea about spacers.. they do exactlly what you describe to move the wheel futher out into the arch.

Is it safe to use spacers on just my standard alloys? My aim is to make my wheels flush with my wheel arches (so it's mainly for show). I've got a golf vr6 with the standard 15" bbs alloys. What size spacers do you recommend and what's the cost?

You can use 5mm spacers at the rear to bring them more into line with the fronts and still use the standard wheel bolts. If you go thicker you will need longer bolts.

Bear in mind the rear track of the Corrado is narrower than the front for stability, so ideally you should space the fronts aswell to maintain proper handling balance, but it's not essential.

5mm spacers are about £10 each from most motor factors and they take the offset from 43 to 38, which is fine.

As posted above, spacers will push the wheel further away from the mounting face. Aftermarket alloys are made with various offsets which may or may not fit the VW specifications. You can make them fit by using spacers

Sometimes it's for practical reasons ie to clear oversized brake callipers etc. Other times it's for the visual effect of making the car have a much more squared off wheel at each corner stance (as opposed to a knocked knee appearance).

Caution - by pushing the wheel out too far that you may:-

1. Cause the tyre to rub against the wheel arch when the springs are depressed;

2. Cause more load to be added to the steering/transmission joints since the weight of the wheel/tyre is now further away than originally designed - especially if the new alloys are larger and heavier than the standard ones; and

3. badly made spacers can introduce balancing issues (hubcentric ones are better).

IMO 5mm spacers all round with standard wheels and standard suspension are probably unlikley to cause problems.