Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

1.8 golf 16v cams into a 2.0 16v corrado

Im pretty sure this can be done but want to make sure before i do it. I have a spare set of cams from my other car and will swap it into my C but i know that my C is not a KR block will this cause a problem with the change?

How much gain should I expect from this cam change?

thanks

i think its only the inlet cam you change for the exaust cam from the KR. i THINK!

someone will tell you soon, and the gain is meant to be pretty good! im tracking down the cam i need (when i remember which) for my 9a!

The KR inlet cam is a straight swap for the 9A inlet cam, and has higher lift and longer duration - apparently it's worth about 10-15bhp... Afaik, the exhaust cams are the same...

The KR inlet cam is a straight swap for the 9A inlet cam, and has higher lift and longer duration - apparently it's worth about 10-15bhp... Afaik, the exhaust cams are the same...

exhaust cams are exactly the same part number 027 109 022 G

David.

Anyone know much a new kr inlet cam costs? Having mentioned doing this upgrade to a few of my mates they have all thought putting a second hand cam in is a bad idea.

Anyone know much a new kr inlet cam costs? Having mentioned doing this upgrade to a few of my mates they have all thought putting a second hand cam in is a bad idea.

vw cams are pretty robust, not like old vauxhalls etc..., it's rare to see really bad cam wear unless an engine has been seriously badly maintained. Most of the 8v GTI and 16v VW engines I've seen in scrappies have cams that look perfect, occasionally you'll see one with a bit of pitting starting on the hardened lobes.

David.

Good stuff, my mates have both had modified fords and vauxhalls in the past which is no doubt why they were sceptical.

I have a few kr inlet cams forsale,pm if interested! all vgc

I'll definately be interested in the future, want to have the gaskets, tappets, etc. replaced before upping the power though

Watch the cam sprokets if your swapping cams,early KR versions have different pitch teeth compared to valver 9A cams,i've just swapped twin exhaust cams onto my 2.0 G60-16valve head and i still have them on the work bench,this afternoon i'll shoot some photos up of both heads,1 with KR cams installed and the other with two exhaust cams timed up and show you the differences.

What about 2.0 16v Golf 3 GTi 16v (ABF) inlet cam ? Does swaping ABF inlet cam with KR cams give extra hp ?

The abf cams have another 1mm lift over kr 1s but they dont give a kick at 4k,and they are very smooth.

VEEDUBBED Have you used a modded chainwheel on your exhaust cam that youve fitted as an inlet? If you just wack it in,it will be 6 degrees out and run like poo

As i stated before,your not using the modded chainwheel for the 2 zorst cams,this results in very poor idle and etc

Yeah flusted,your right,i've been trying to locate 2 of those internal cam gears on ebay but nothing has turned up,have you ever tried removing the original sprockets?,bastids won't shift even when heated..

Yeah,i had mine pressed off hydraulic with a hydraulic press.Then my mate re-cuts a new keyway in the chainwheel to correct the timing,this also allows all the standard timing marks to line up.You also get silky smooth idle and good pick up from 2k

Hey flusted,i still wondering what that cam swap is going to be like on my G-charged valver engine..,if i send you down 1 of those sprockets could your mate do that mod for mine??,let me know,cheers,Andrew.

YES! just got hold of a KR inlet cam in great nick for £10 :D

get it installed, get the car to mids vw and get it set up and i should see 140bhp ish :D

its not as many as my calibra had, but its getting there!

Not sure whether my mate still does em as i havent spoke to him for a while.

Stealth used this mod for there 16v turbo conversions

i also have a kr inlet cam for sale only took it out as i did the twin exhaust mod on my kr valver.