Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

G60 Rad - Slight leak?

I was doing an oil change this morning, I noticed while warming the engine up that there was a small amount of steam rising from the back of the radiator, and some small coolant splashes/condensation on the fan. As the engine got up to temperature, the steam disappeared. It definately smelled of coolant but I can't see any damage the on the rad.

Should I wait until it gets worse, or is it about to burst? Can they be repaired? (I don't mean that radweld stuff though!) has anyone bought a G60 rad recently, from VAG or elsewhere?

Cheers

They go brittle and warp wih age/heat... the O ring seal also wears out...

Don't worry about it tho if you don't think it's comeing from there as you get a new one with a new Rad, just didn't want you changing the rad for nothing...

The top elbow snapped clean off my rad on friday - on the M1!

Previous owner had replaced the factory hose clips with jubilee style clips and overtightened it a bit!

My rad steams when warming up due to cold/damp weather, did it with old rad and still does it with the new one.

New rad for my 1.8 16v was £55 from Euro car parts. I think g60 ones were about £85, made by Eis (German)