Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Remap - worth it on these mods...?

Hi

I'm seeing Stealth in a month and was thinking about a possible remap (which is a dastek unichip).

My golf vr6 (odb2) currently has the following modifications:

- Cat back (2.25" standard bore) stainless Milltek Exhaust system.

- Milltek high flow cat.

- Free flowing stainless 6 branch exhaust manifold.

- And soon to be fitted BMC induction kit.

I know on an ODB2 Golf VR6 a remap wont actually give a rise in power on a standard car.

Other than the initial increase in power to 200bhp I already have with the mods above, will I "gain" any more power/torque, on top of this with a remap or will it not make a lot of difference but just improve the driveability?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Matt

No need for a dastek external box as Stealth do proper rechips now.

You're right, OBD2 runs at peak tune pretty much all of the time, it's faster and more efficient than OBD1 so gains will be pretty minimal but I'm sure Vince can liberate a few more ponies.

Cheers. One question: can a remap manipulate the torque levels at different revs - in other words could Stealth increase the low down torque with the remap? I'm not too bothered about top end bhp.

AFAIK, there are multiple areas in the ECU that take care of tuning against rpm, these are known as 'tables'. If you're into IT, they're like a database 'lookup' table that the ECU consults for static (fixed) tuning and then makes live adjustments (self tuning) against those according to the polling of the sensors. There are 3 main tables, low, mid and high and there are MAF, fuel and ignition tables within each, so it's very possible for Vince to ramp up the ignition advance in the low and mid tables to give you more advance (torque!) but you can run into pinking problems if you go too far, so Vince will err on the side of drivability and smoothness over outright power.

I would expect you to see about 205ish hp with your setup after a decent remap, and torque in the 190-195 region.