Sign in to follow this  
nathangt4

Front ARB bush replacement

Hi,

My brother owns a 94 VR6 and I managed to pop the front Anti Roll Bar out of the bush , whoops :shock: . We are wanting to change both sides and I was wondering what type of job this is?, it looks straight forward but I own a GT4 and am used to things that look straight forward taking hours.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Nathan

As mrbeige says, wondering what you've 'popped'? The VR6 arb has drop links where it attaches to the wishbones, and take some breaking though not unknown, and held on by a single nut underneath. Then there are two rubber bushes clamping the arb on top of the subframe 'rear legs'. To change these, relatively easily, you need to loosen (or take out) the 4 rear subframe bolts (two each side), and loosen the two front bolts, don't take em right out though, into the suspension towers so you can tilt the usbframe down at the rear. Then you can remove the clamp bolts and change the rubbers. They can be a bit of a swine, and is much easier on a ramp if you have one. Obviously, disturbing the subframe may upset the front alignment slightly so you might want to have that rechecked afterwards. I've probably got some pix somewhere but hth

Thanks,

I was reversing up a kerb at a bit of a strange angle and I heard it pop out, if you look under the car you can see the ARB hanging down, from what I can see, it has popped out of the bush, the bush is quite rusty too so probably was about due to fail. I hope that clears my dodgy description up.

Thanks

Nathan

Sure you're talking about the drop links mate.....

It's impossible for the ARB to 'drop out' from it's main hinges....

The drop links are about £15 from GSF and screw into the end of the ARB and you'll see where on the wishbone the other end of the drop link bolts to when you're down there ;-)

I described the bit to the guy at VW and we have ordered the bracket and bush for both sides, £5ish per side, I will have a look.

Thanks for the advice.

Nathan