Sign in to follow this  
frotogl

93 SLC ABS help....

Is it possible for the ABS system to cause the brakes to be completely non-functional? I'm looking at an SLC- the owner stated that it needs a new ABS unit, but deems the car undriveable because the brakes do not work... Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'm a mkII guy and have absolutely no experience with ABS. I'll most likely swap it out for a different setup if I get the car, but for now I would just need to make it driveable.

normally if the abs fails the car should be drivable with non abs brakes. I guess it at least mine was when there was a sensor problem. i guess the abs could fail in such a way as to stop the brakes working but it seems unlikly

Thanks, I think it is apparent that there is something wrong with the mechanical aspects of the brakes rather than the ABS. I'll have to check it out in person. I hope it isn't anything too serious, I've wanted to buy a rado for a really really long time!