Sign in to follow this  
CVRDUB

3rd gear crunching

my 3rd gear crunches on my vr6 if i try shifting quick, its the only gear that crunches, is this a common problem with rado boxes? my cousin used own a g60 and he said 3rd was crunching on his to....

any soloutions to stop this. :?

Yeah man It happens quite often the trick is to be gentle and ease it in with two fingers letting the sycromesh do its magic.

The 'box will never be like a motorbike so treat it easy i can advise mate

It shouldn't crunch no, my gearbox isn't that great but third changes fine on the upshift, although I can feel the the synchro sometimes on the downshift at certain revs. Third also whines when off-throttle at low speed, and 'clunks' when the clutch is engaged, so maybe third is a weak one.

What are your engine mounts like? could the linkage be out of adjustment?

I believe this is a common porblem on Corrados.

Mine does the same if you quicly shift up to 3rd gear.

Although i haven´t checked the gear linkage.

But engine mounts are all new, and i felt no improvements...

2nd to 3rd synchro is goosed and that's the expensive one as it's made up of 3 seperate parts. The other synchros are single peice and cheaper.

The 02A should be smooth, positive and crunch free at all temperatures. Slight diff whine on the over run is normal, which is more noticable in 3rd and 4th.

Engine mounts and decent oil can help with the shift, but not a crunch but try those first before considering a rebuild.

i havent checked the mounts but, i do think 1 of them is weak,can feel a bit of rocking when i let off and accelerate.

So it is a commonish problem,ok well at least i know its not me completly me.

the clutch is biting quite low if i ajusted it a bit so i bites more middle would this help at all?

wayne

Your clutch is hydraulic so you can't adjust the travel. If the clutch was dragging, you'd probably get a crunch when engaging reverse too.

If your clutch engages close to the floor, you need to do a fluid change as soon as you can. If that doesn't restore your pedal travel, or it only lasts a few days, you'll need to replace either the leaky clutch slave cylinder or master cylinder.

Caught me out a few times that , after a long hot run, the clutch bite got closer and closer to the floor, the next morning I couldn't engage any gears!