Sign in to follow this  
selbekk

vr6 swap

Okay, the more I read about the vr6 engine, the more I want it. Soooo... I was thinking... If I bought a £2000 low mileage golf vr6 from germany, imported it, stripped it from it's front and rear axles, wheels, engine and drive train, and then break the rest for parts, you'd get a vr'd corrado for less than a namibian prostitute in oslo (which is about £5 these days).

Obviously you would need a new hood, and perhaps even front arches, but wouldn't this work? My mechanic says they have the same part numbers and everything (except the engine, 2.8l vs. 2.9, but I can live without the extra desiliter, or even bore it up a bit)?

Corrado and MK3 Golf rear axles aren't the same afaik... Dunno bout the rest, but I'm sure someone who does will be along soon!

Sounds like a plan though... :) What's up with your G60 lump?

Well, Have done a 2.9VR into Mk2 Golf conversion, and done a bit of research. I'm confident the rear axle will fit, I assume this because the Mk3 VR axle will fit into the Mk2, which are more or less the same chassis, obviously the running track is wider, which I guess your aware of. Another thing to take into consideration is the raidiator, not sure, but don't think this will bolt straight in. You should be able to make it fit, although think you could get away with using the original rad, will get you going at least, have heard of other people using these without a problem, although would change to the the VR one as soon as.

I disconnected the rear loom of the golf(Corrado) from the F/Box, which has 3 multiconnectors, things like the interior light and central locking, which have there own connector, swapped out the rest of the golf loom including Fuse box, plugged them back in, the engine fired up first time!!! Then I just cut and soldered the Headlight, indicators and fog light connectors back on, everything else should connect straight up!

(At this point, I should mention that I don't have ABS and don't know anything about it, I've just got a few connector hanging around the engine bay, but assume these will conenct straight up too!?!?!?)

Also just remembered, but the ECU in the Corrado sits in the center of the scuttle pannel, where as the Golf Loom is made to position the ECU on the drivers side. This may interfear with the Wiper motor, although you may be able to get round this, I managed to drag mine through the bulk head and squash it behind the dash, where the heater matrix is on my Mk2.

This also means that the wiper motor connector might not reach, just needs extending!!

Good luck, post any questions and I'll try to help if I can!!!!!

Gav

Also just realised that the ABS loom is seperate, with its own ECU, so shouldn't be too much of a problem. The connectors I have hanging around actually should connect to the emmissions cannister down the driverside which the Mk2 doesn't have and I didn't swap, just blocked the pipes up. Emmisions on an earlier Mk2 aren't so much of an issue here.

gradeAfailure, nothing's wrong with my g60 engine. I even have a spare lump and box that came with the car. I'm just thinking of different ways to go with the rado... I reckon I'm only gon have it for another year and a half anyways, so again, really unsure what I gon do with it until then.

See, in a year and a half, i'm moving to the states and getting a mustang 5.0 with daytons, golf 4 gti or, of course, a rado vr6 :) I really like rados ;)

mattingg, my car's ABS is there, but doesn't work (I only realized the sensors and stuff were there when my grease monkey told me so). I'll check it out I guess, thx for all help. Any further info would be great also :D You can never learn to much :lol: