Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

G60 cam belt & tensioner / cam shaft seal replacement

My 91 G60 has a leaking cam shaft seal and I have decided to replace that seal along with crank shaft seal and the intermediary shaft seal. Ontop for peace of mind (since this hasnt been replaced since owning the car) I am going to replace the cam belt and tensioner. Questions are as follows:

1) Should I only buy these items from VAG? Or are the parts from a local motor factor goign to be 'good' enough?

2) Does anyone know the part numbers for these parts?

3) Are all of these fixes easy enough to do (friends seem to think so)? Are there any pointers I should be aware of before starting that neither the Bentley manual or Haynes manual covers?

Thanks for any help!!

Ok - GSF is a better bet for the seals - guessing VAG is better for the belt and tensioner.

Does anyone please know the GSF part numbers for the 3 seals? :) Can spot the following listing for seals - just unsure exactly which one(s) are correct?

11734 OIL SEAL CRANK-REAR (BQ) CO 9/88 >

11740 OIL SEAL-CAM/INT/CRANK BQ CO 4 Cyl 9/88 >

11742 OIL SEAL CRANK/OIL PUMP CO VR6 9/88 >

Changing the cambelt and tensioner isn't too big a job (not quite as easy as on my Roccos, but do-able; did all belts and tensioners on all 3 cars last September, took my time, patience helped.). Not had experience with changing the selas though, only on a DX-engine block, where it was pretty easy.

Tempest

Admittedly I just went for all VAG stuff, when I did my belts and tensioners on all 3, and the intermediary shaft seal on my Storm Rocco.

Tempest

I wouldn't do the crank seal personally. Need to remove the cambelt pulley and bolt, you know, the one that can break and spoil your day etc.

Cam seal is easy never done a IM shaft one.

I think you could be heading for a world of hurt....

Gavin

I wouldn't do the crank seal personally. Need to remove the cambelt pulley and bolt, you know, the one that can break and spoil your day etc.

Cam seal is easy never done a IM shaft one.

I think you could be heading for a world of hurt....

Gavin

I have removed these many times and never seen one break. What i would say is worth while whilst doing the seal is to change the pulley and crankbolt. If its weeping definatly change it.