Sign in to follow this  
paddyg

Am I right?

ok after searching on here, I think I need to replace the central locking vacuum pump? am I correct in think so?

Formerly my alarm key fob used to unlock all the doors and disarm the alarm until one day when I found it wouldnt unlock the doors although it did disarm the alarm! so I had to use the key to unlock the drivers door and drive home. Doing this only unlocked the drivers door and the passengers stayed locked. So...

Q: Should unlocking the drivers door also unlock the passengers door?

The alarm still arms and disarms off the key fob as normal but now I cant hear the central locking vacuum pump whirring any more as before even when I use the key.

Q: So am I right in thinking the pump is knackered? what cars have the same pumps? (golf/audi) does anyone have a picture of what i need to look for?

Thanks for any help,

Pat

PS: Both the interior lights still work so I dont think its any fuses?

i have a spare vacuum pump should you need one, it came out of my old gti 16v and it worked perfectly, it`s just one of those parts that hung around after i broke the car.

Sounds good, i looked at http://www.partsgateway.co.uk and they seemed to be expensive, surely i could go to the local scrappie here and pull one from some old golf/audi (what cars) for cheaper?

How much are you looking for it gaz the geezer? It'll have to be posted to Ireland so is it heavy at all? any idea on postage to Ireland?

Thanks v much,

Any other opinions on whether it is the vacuum pump or what it is?

Eh....

I thought that it used the same fuse as the interior lights (from previous searches on here), so seeing as they were working i never checked the fuse at all. Any idea what number fuse?

Better check it out...

Had a look, and its not the fuses. One fuse does the interior lights, central locking, and a few other things so thats that ruled out. Think I'll just replace the vacuum pump and see how it goes. PM coming your way gaz the geezer.

Update: Got a replacement central locking pump (Thanks Gaz) and fitted it but the problem remains where the key fob is still arming and disarming the alarm but not locking and unlocking the doors!

So it's not the central locking pump, or the alarm, and the interior lights still work so its not the fusebox!

Any ideas anyone?

Maybe one of your c/locking vacuum lines have become detached or split. onbly way to check is dismantle and see. Happy hunting mate!

Sit in the boot with the pump connected to the power, but NOT to the pipe. Set the alarm... Does the pump go? If it does, you've got a split hose....

Mate, check the fuses on your alarm. Mine went and I had exactly the same problems as you. DO you have full closure and is that working? If not it's probably the fuse in the alarm. What alarm do you have?

Thanks for responses,

I checked the fuses in the alarm module under the bonnet which were fine and I think I tried the pump without the pipe connected but I will check that again...

I have already replaced the pump and it didnt solve the problem which leads me to think that it isnt the pump, but everything else is pointing that it is the pump that is broken (alarm still working, using key doesnt lock both doors, no sound/whimper out of the pump).

Is it possible that the 2nd hand pump i got is knackered? surely too concidental, and the seller said it was working!

Is there a way to check the vacuum pump in a stand alone way? If I could supply power to it... does anyone have a wiring diagram for the connector maybe? (just thinking out loud here)

any ideas or help anyone?

Oh its a laserline alarm, and it has full closure (i think, well it locks the doors and boot all together, my C doesnt have leccy windows or a sunroof!)

paddyg, don't check the pump, check the plug onto the pump for power when locking/unlocking... much easier... ;)

Can you pull the pump out and then use wires attached straight to the battery to test it's working...

I had a problem with mine, but it was 8 years ago so i can't really remember. Something to do with a rubber flap that wasn't sealing properly inside the pump so it wasn't flicking a switch. Mine was making the noise though, just wasn't doing anything...

Try sucking on the pipes as well, see if they lock the doors when you do - indicate whether there's a leak in the pipework...

Sorry for being vague, just it's been a while since I took one out!

My alarm had a separate box wired in nr the fusebox for the window and central locking. Had the car for a couple of years before I found out. One day I had the dash undertray out and must have nudged the wiring and all of a sudden my windows wound up when I set the alarm!

You need to check the feed from the alarm/electrics activation box to the c-locking system, my alarm module inside the car had a pretty poorly fitted inline fuse which the contacts were dodgy on.

Thanks for responses,

I checked the fuses in the alarm module under the bonnet which were fine and I think I tried the pump without the pipe connected but I will check that again...

I have already replaced the pump and it didnt solve the problem which leads me to think that it isnt the pump, but everything else is pointing that it is the pump that is broken (alarm still working, using key doesnt lock both doors, no sound/whimper out of the pump).

Is it possible that the 2nd hand pump i got is knackered? surely too concidental, and the seller said it was working!

Is there a way to check the vacuum pump in a stand alone way? If I could supply power to it... does anyone have a wiring diagram for the connector maybe? (just thinking out loud here)

any ideas or help anyone?

Oh its a laserline alarm, and it has full closure (i think, well it locks the doors and boot all together, my C doesnt have leccy windows or a sunroof!)

Cheers people,

@ Henny, I dont know which pins are which on the plug! suppose I could try all of them couldnt I? good point!

@ 33hz, I dont know which pins on the vacuum pump are the power and gnd so i cant do this? I will try to suck on the pipes to see if I can unlock the doors though, good check of the pipework though.

@ davidwort, I seem to remember some loose wires alright behind the fuse box panel which were for the alarm! I'll have a check of these also

Cheers all, will do these when I get a chance and update ye...

paddyg, solid brown is always earth on VW cars... ;) I think you'll be able to work it out from there pretty easily...

Update...

I know its been a while but i was searching on here and i remember reading about a guy who had the same problem and found a single seperate fuse on top of the actual fuse box panel which had blown...

well low and behold I have found such a fuse when I was messing about recently so its on my to-do list... It was hidden away on its own right up behind the fuse panel...

cheers folks...