Sign in to follow this  
me32dh

Sub box for left hand side of the boot

Since getting a Miltek exhaust :) , the lack of bass from the standard size speakers more noticeable, and I'm planning on improving the set-up.

I currently have:

A Sony minidisc headunit (on the front it quotes 35W x 4) & 10 Disc CD in the boot (Mounted under the left speaker shelf)

MB Quart components at the front - DSD213 13 CM 2 Way, Discus Range

5.25 in the standard doors fittings & Tweeters with X-overs in the standard dash mounts

Original Nokia rear speakers - Nasty

Proposed Changes:

Replace rear speakers with JBL/Infinity or similar

ie. JBL GTO6425e ~£50

Add a sealed subwoofer box on the left of the boot.

Self build from 20mm MDF + possibly fibreglass (I read the post on this discussion)

~15-20 litres volume with an 8" or 10" subwoofer (Less than ideal, but better than nothing)

An amp under the passenger seat for the sub

I would also consider buying a 4 channel amp, to boost the MB Quarts at the front and bridge the other two channels for the subwoofer.

I just aim to have a system which will recreate balanced sound when driving, rather than blowing the neighbours away!

Has anyone else got a similar setup to my proposed system? Are you pleased with it? Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks,

Duncan

'94 VR6

I had a set of Infinity reference 603c components in my golf, they gave superb sound quality - I beleive this quality is comon across the whole range - you get what you pay for!

I just aim to have a system which will recreate balanced sound when driving, rather than blowing the neighbours away!

Do you know what the lower cut off frequency is on the components you have in the front? What you could do is put an amp inbetween them and the head unit, this will give you a much better sound straight away. The amplifier in any head unit is rubbish. The value quoted is usually the highest value obtained from hours of testing on a bench. Using the head unit to power the components is a bit like running your surrond sound system in the living room from a walkman.

A good idea might be to try getting a four way amp, 75 - 100w rms/channel, to run the components and what ever replacements you use in the back - if you still want a sub, after that then change running the rears off of the head unit, to free up a pair of amp outs for bridging.

My infinities had a relativley high 'low pass cut off', but when i had only them on, runing from a 2x100w amp they had a good bass note, not at all flappy! (this is the reason for the powerful amp)

HTH

Andrew

Cheers Andrew, thats a good idea. The MB Quart components have the following spec.

Tweeter: ¾" (19mm) Titanium dome

Woofer: 5¼" (130mm) Polypropylene Cone

Crossover: 12 dB/Octave @ 4000Hz

Impedance: 4 Ohms (nominal)

Freq. Response: 55Hz to 32,000Hz

Power Range: 35watts (rms.) to 90watts

Sensitivity: 84dB (1 watt, 1 meter)

Any recommends for a 4 channel amp to drive these and some ~£60 rear 6x4"?

Cheers,

Duncan

you might as well stick with 6x4's in the back if your getting a sub, itll sound better. I have a set of MB Quart DKD164's in mine i got for £50. They're two ways and sound excellent for what they are. I also have 6" components up front (Focal 165 V2's) which help with bass no end!!! I did at one point have 2 way MB Quart 6x9's that sounded awesome in my golf, but just ok in my corrado... :? Cant remember the model but the won all the tests a few years back.

Hope this helps.

In case you are intersest, a freind is selling a set of those infinity reference 603c components (£70 - as new), you can check them out on infinty web site the current range is 605cs, it has similar spec to 603c.

Type: 6-1/2" 2-Way Component System

Speaker Impedance: 4 Ohms

Power Handling: 90W RMS, 270W Peak

Frequency Response: 54Hz – 20kHz

Sensitivity: 92dB

Crossover Frequency: 3.5kHz

Mounting Depth: Woofer: 2-1/16" (53mm)

Tweeter: 1-3/16" (31mm)

Cut-out Diameter: Woofer: 5" (127mm)

Tweeter: 1-3/4" (45mm)

One major difference in these speakers to yours are that these are not multi-element (I think that is the term) that is to say, in the centre of your big speaker is a stalk with the tweeter - right? These infinity's are two seperate speakers.

Think of the area of the woofer missing or blocked because of the tweeter on yours. All that sound is missing!

You see the difference in Halfrauds between any of the the two types. see what you think first - there will be a big difference in sound and price!

Like I said at the start - you get what you pay for.

One major difference in these speakers to yours are that these are not multi-element (I think that is the term) that is to say, in the centre of your big speaker is a stalk with the tweeter - right?

No. The MB Quarts are reasonable quality components. The woofer is in the door and the separate tweeters are mounted in the dash.

The main problem is lack of power from a suitable amp. This and some new rear MB Quart (IF I CAN FIND ANYWHERE THAT STOCK 6x4 MB QUARTS) speakers will be my next investment.

Regards,

Duncan

hmmmm - cheers for that Brian!!! lol I searched Google and found no-one selling em!! All the dealers I asked just told me they were obsolete.

Anyway - still waiting for mine from the US, they were miles cheaper but I am counting (hoping) that customs don't tax me!! :?

no not necessarily - they are damn hard to find to be honest - I have always heard that MBQ speakers were pretty darn good. Going to pop mine in tomorrow.

Kenwood make some that probably fit better and are readily available at £50 - I just felt the as I was going for MBQ's up font - I may as well do the same at the rear! :)

I found the ones on ebay that some people were referring to, so I'm considering purchasing them. Have other people had great success with them? And what MBQ's did you get for up front? Do you like em?

The MBQ's I went for up front are the RSD 213 - they have the 1" tweeter as oppose to a lot of the other MBQ's on offer. Will let you know if I am grinning after I complete the install tomorrow :)

They are the reference ones and the tweeters operate from 2500hz through the crossover.

They are better than the discuss ones and to be honest - getting the 146 and the 213's delivered for £130 aint bad considering that caraudiodirect do the discuss ones for £135 alone!

i used to have the JBL GTO and replaced them for infinities 6x9 and thewy are thousand times better and got beautiful treble too

Heh, yeah, I think I'll just stick with the 4x6s, b/c I plan on getting a sub, so the lows shouldn't be a problem. I need suggestions for a new setup for my C:

I wanna get the Focal 130v2 set for the door pods and then mount the tweeters either on the dash or in a modified position on the doors, and I want to get the MB Quart dkd 146 4x6s for the back. Any suggestions for a sub and/or amp? Should I look at different front/back speakers?

that sounds like a good setup at the mo, actually,,, it just so happens to be nearly the same as mine!!! :lol:

a good sub and amp? sub - JL Audio. You really cant go wrong. Focal? odd sizes but should be ok (i might be getting one,) or Diamond Audo. Amps can depend on your music but Genesis JL Audio and Pheonix gold, again cant go wrong with.

:)

Okay, thanks for the advice :) Someone mentioned in another post (link here: http://corrado.atx-hosting.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=772 ) about a custom corrado sub enclosure made by a company known as SNS, and I was wondering if you knew anything about that. I can't seem to find any company SNS that sells custom sub enclosures.. :? Also, if you happen to know of any other custom sub enclosures out there for C's, let me know. I just liked that one because of the space it saves in the boot. I could always just go with one of those standard boxes :-/ Cheers.

i seen it, its the same people that make the chips and they are in america.

Audioscape are apparently planning on making an enclosure, so im waiting for that, as too lazy to make myself one!!

You could make one though.

I have a colleague with an Audi A3 1.8T and that has an amplified subwoofer on the left hand side of the boot just behind the wheel arch. Has anyone considered using one of these?

PS. I posted the original message on this thread and to update you, I've fitted JBL 4x6" plate speakers (sep tweeter & 4" mid on one plate) in the back and a small amp (fitted on the far left of the boot) powering the front MB Quarts 5.25" components. The bass & volume from the 5.25" speakers is massively improved.

I'll try and post some pics.

Thanks for all the help,