Sign in to follow this  
stoner

Windscreen blowers only work occasionally!

The windscreen blowers on my '90 16v only work once in a blue moon. I usually leave the vent direction lever on the windscreen setting, and sometimes they will start blowing on the screen, then they will stop again for no reason. It's not the fan, the fan is running all the time, just seems like the vent is somehow opening and closing by itself!

The fan, heaters and all the other vents are working fine. what's going on here? I would have the dash apart to take a look, but it looks like quite a big job.

Surely it can't be a cog or a cable, 'cos of the way the windscreen vents work at random without me ever touching the lever. Anyone got any ideas?

Andy.

These vents only work when others are closed, check the manual...

I reckon the other vents are half open and moving slightly as your going along and this is causing the air to take a different path...

All the other vents are definitely closed, there's no air coming out of any of them, but the windscreen vents are still closed 95% of the time.

Oh dear....is the windscreen vent stiff when you slide it across? The windscreen vent bowden cable is notorious for causing problems. Mine is so stiff, it sheared the plastic clip that holds the cable to the direction mechanism. Another thing that happens is the foot/face vent flap jams open.

I cured mine by taking the screen cable out of the equasion and manually fully opening the flap. All I get now is screen venting and partial face/feet. Doesn't bother me as the screen one is the most important (winter demisting) and there is always plenty of heat seeping out of the face and foot vents regardless.

Not a specific answer to your problem I'm afraid but just an indication as to what it *could* be. Let us know how you get on.

Kev

Could be the resistor pack on the heater blower behind the glovebox. About $27 US for a new one.

resistorpack.jpg

Skye

Could be the resistor pack on the heater blower behind the glovebox. About $27 US for a new one.

Or less than a quid for the Thermal Resistor that blows when the fan brushes wear down and cause it to over heat... Get a new fan (£25 from GSF) and a Thermal Fuse from Maplins and for £26 you're laughing...

I don't think that this is your problem though, I tend to agree with Kev that your flaps are stuck... :shock: (ooo-err!)

Good luck anyway....

184 C degrees breaking point thermal fuse from maplins is 75p got one recently good fast delivery too

Yep, I reckon it's the flap too, come to think of it, the lever is quite stiff so it could be the cable, it's just wierd that it'll work one day and not the next - the fan carries on running, so there's no prob with that. Where's the best place to get it to be able to manually open the flap?

FurkiG60, i think Henny meant £25 for the fan and £1 for the fuse to equal £26ish........

The flaps sticking wa a common problem on MKII Golfs too wasn't it?

FurkiG60, i think Henny meant £25 for the fan and £1 for the fuse to equal £26ish........

:roll: :lol: yup, that's what I meant, £26 and it's all new agian... :lol:

The flaps sticking wa a common problem on MKII Golfs too wasn't it?

Yup, the MK2 Driver that I'm running around in at the moment seems to have the "sticky flaps" syndrome too... (That does sound rather rude now I've typed it! :lol: )

Yesterday the screen vents were working, but today, all I did was start the car up and they stopped working - you can hear an audible 'pop' which I guess must be the flap moving? Where is the easiest place to access the flap?

Yesterday the screen vents were working, but today, all I did was start the car up and they stopped working - you can hear an audible 'pop' which I guess must be the flap moving? Where is the easiest place to access the flap?

The winscreen flap is on the driver's side above the feet warmer vent.

Take the driver's side shelf off so that you can get behind the centre console. Locate the foot vent and look directly above that and you'll see the screen vent flap lever thingy. Use a lead light or something as you won't see what I'm babbling-on about!

Disconnect the screen vent cable from the dash end (see my thread in the Servicing section) and try and move it by hand. You should be able raise and lower the screen flap with the slightest amount of finger pressure. If it's a struggle and the cable bends before anything moves, you need to replace the cable, which costs less than a tenner.

Kev

Nice one Kev, i appreciate your help. will have a look this weekend as the screen is getting misty now the colder weather has arrived!