Sign in to follow this  
A20 LEE

Strengthened driveshafts???

I've got a pair of complete spare driveshafts i'm going to rebuild with new CV joints. But before I start will they be able to cope with about 380lbft? Don't want to waste time and money building them up if they will be trashed first time i give it some right foot. Custom made shafts will cost about £600 which i don't fancy paying. Any other options?

TIA

check the part numbers on ETKA. I've been told that Passat TDI joints are stronger. (probably indicated by a higher suffix on the part number meaning it's a revised part)

so long as you don't go spinning the wheels everywhere and doing hard standing starts it should be alright. then again, with 380lbs.ft it isn't going to do much else other than spin the wheels!

with 380lbs.ft it isn't going to do much else other than spin the wheels!

Was just thinking that myself, you got no chance of giving that ya full boot and transfaring it all to the road!

custom shafts are not 600 quid either.

I had 2 driveshafts made up to a rally spec and they were nowhere near that. That is just the shafts btw, I used the mk4 CVs which are big and chunky.

check the part numbers on ETKA. I've been told that Passat TDI joints are stronger. (probably indicated by a higher suffix on the part number meaning it's a revised part)

Thats very interesting, i'll have to speak to Matt Heap about getting me some. Yeah, i know i'll get loads of wheel spin. Driven a 3.0TDI Touareg with 375lbft and that can smoke all four wheels off the line.

Have a word with Stealth, he might still have some of the special high grade steel CV cages he used on his project VR turbo. They coped with 450lb/ft torque, but he did use Gemini custom shafts with them though. IIRC the standard ball cages are alloy (or low grade steel) and that much torque (450!) would just shred them up too quickly.

Interesting about the TDI CVs.... my originals are starting to go so I might look into that aswell.

Loss of traction in 3rd under boost = smooth gears. This is typical with higher hp fwd cars. You're awd now right?

R

No, not AWD. Won't be driving the car that hard to be honest. Reliablity and quality of install are the goals i'm aiming for.

Yeah £600 sounds very steep for what basically is a steel shaft, splined & grooved.

If you could find out what steel is used by gemini/other, you could get a machine shop to make them up for you. I would probably use a high tensile shock resistant steel such as EN24T.

custom shafts are not 600 quid either.

I had 2 driveshafts made up to a rally spec and they were nowhere near that. That is just the shafts btw, I used the mk4 CVs which are big and chunky.

are they a straight swop?