Sign in to follow this  
jamest

ENGINE MOUNTS

Howdy,

having a serious wobbling engine problem in my Mk3 VR6!

think all 3 of my mounts have gone... :shock:

I paid a local garage £100 to do my front one at first which promptly went again due to the movement created by the back ones.

He says that he will do all 3 for £250 (which includes the first one on warranty)... This equals a total £350quid for all 3... AM I BEING RIPPED OFF?! :roll:

seems expensive to me :p

cheers

call vag and price the mounts , that seems ott to me

if the mounts are fitted and are tightened up without the engine either being rocked or run to seat them correctly then they will work against each other and fail very quickly or pull on acceleration or braking

OEM parts from VW will cost you about £150 for all three, maybe £200 at the outside inclusive of Gordon's council tax.

£150 for three hours labour to fit them doesn't seem massively ott though.

What's the actual breakdown on that price?

can anyone just give me a very quick rough guide from start to finish on how to change all 3 engine mounts, so i know whether to tackle it myself or not?

thanks,

Neil

a piece of wood on a trolley jack under the sump, jack up the engine to take the load off the mounts , undo (one at a time) the mount , raise the jack til the engine clears the mount and remove , put the other mount in and tighten to the chassis/subframe , lower the engine , either rock the engine backwards and forwards a few times or run the engine and tighten to the specified torque , repeat on all three

the most awkward one is the gearbox, just because of the position

if you need the torques let me know and i'll dig them out for you

to get to the bolts lower down i used two socket extension bars doubled up

Is that the same technique for the mk3 vr? Ive got to do my neighbours tomorrow. Its so much easier in a mk2!!

sparkz, never done a mk3 but its the same method for most, with it being a heavy engine its important to rock or run the engine before you torque them down , otherwise the work against each other

hth

The Phirm did uprated Vibratechnic ones on my golf vr and they charged a half hour labour mate. Sounds like you're being ripped off especially as you're only getting standard replacements and not uprated. I had my gearbox and front one done (the only ones that really wear on the mark 3 golf) and it cost a little over 200. Worth it in my opinion as they should last far longer than standard ones.