Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

EARTH connections

Hi all

I need to give all my earth connections a good going over - more specifically, anyone know where the earth for the the oil and water temp senders are? I understand the earth for both senders to be the same - is this correct?

cheers

found one!.....the one at the back of the battery floor - can't find the one related to the coolant sensor though.....and nothing near the head?

Oil temp sender is grounded through the block as only has 1 wire. Not sure about the VR6 coolant temp sender but on the g60 and 16v is grounded through the ECU harness.

is grounded through the ECU harness.

into the ECU itself.

Oh Im glad youre around RW1!!

If VAG-COM posts up a fault with the ECU connector- and the coolant gauge/light and oil temp are faulty - which wires should be tested?

Are the coolant gauge wires and the oil temp wires associated in any way at any point?

What's the fault code number??

Gauge coolant isn't linked to diagnostics; yellow connector in the thermostat housing is the dash gauge. The blue sender is in the thermostat housing is (coolant).

I’ll look at the wiring off line……

OK blue coolant sender in thermostat housing has a blue wire from ECU connector pin 14, brown/green to pin 57.

Oil temp is green/black going through the engine connector pin 5 and on to the fuse/relay panel connector G2 pin 1 (white plug in the bottom row, has a white plug on either side). Check the earth side by touch the temp sender body to battery earth and see if it forms a circuit. Oil temp only goes to the dash MFA, not the ECU.

Great RW1, you've resolved another problem - you've got my vote for Most Useful Forum Member!

Cheers

:oops: :shocked!: :?

When you surface for air, let us know what it was????

****takes a deep breath**** well, turns out that VAG-COM was pointing to ECU problems so I was trying to identify the wiring to the ECU from the ECT sensor. Having checked out the ECU - all terminals were corrosion free including port 14 housing the termination from the ECT sensor wire. Also malfunctioning was the single wire from the MFA oil temp sensor. I tried tracing these from their housing to the ECU (ECT only, I know) but got halfway aroung the vicinity of the aux coolant pump. Now I replaced this a few weeks ago when the saga of my cooling problems began as the plastic gasket had cracked spitting small quantities of dirty brown coolant into the engine bay. Having replaced the pump and then basically everything else in the coolant system...we were down to the electrics.....as you correctly surmised in a previous thread. Changing the expansion tank DID alleviate the problem but as you thought didn't resolve the issue.

ANYWAY, turns out that coolant from the aux coolant pump had ingressed into the nearby cylindrical loom and taking this apart last night I found whats shown in the photo below. A temporary fix was employed by way of a thorough clean whilst I have ordered replacement connectors and wires. Suffice to say the issue is definately now sorted and thanks to your diagnostic tips I am much wiser to the ways of corrado electrics.