Sign in to follow this  
Petros

Windscreen Wiper Motor Failure?

'ello,

My front wipers packed up last night just (luckily) before joining the M74 in the pissing rain. I got the car home & then left it be, as I didn't fancy getting soaked to the skin bumbling about in the dark trying to fix them.

I've done some searches here and understand that it would either be the motor failing or the linkages coming apart. When I move the wipers by hand there is still considerable resistance, and there is a fairly loud humming noise when I turn the wiper stalk to any 'on' position.

From that I'm leaning more towards it being a failed motor than a broken linkage... I just want to sanity check my diagnosis before I order a replacement motor.

Can anyone either confirm or refute my diagnosis?

If you look under the scuttle on the driver's side you can see the motor - if you turn the wipers on in any setting does the motor turn the bits connected to it?

If the linkage is all still fully assembled, you can hardly move the wipers at all by hand, but if it's come apart then they move fairly easily.

Thanks for the speedy reply dinkus.

If you look under the scuttle on the driver's side you can see the motor - if you turn the wipers on in any setting does the motor turn the bits connected to it?

Havan't looked yet, but it sounds like the motor is trying really hard to turn something, but getting no-where.

If the linkage is all still fully assembled, you can hardly move the wipers at all by hand, but if it's come apart then they move fairly easily.

They hardly move at all, so it doesn't sound like they've come apart.

I know I should just wait until after work and have a proper look, I just wanted to order the part today so I could collect & fit it tomorrow! :-)

Ok, opened it up and had a wee poke around... doesn't look like anything is obviously broken - nothing lying loose, and no bits hanging off the linkage.

When I wiggle the wiper arms, the linkage wiggles too (and the wiper arms hardly move) so they're deffo still connected. I think its safe to conclude my motor has gone south :-(

Cheers again for your help diagnosing this, dinkus.

Yeah, sadly it sounds like it :( It's a lot easier and I'd hope cheaper to replace the motor than the linkage though - so hopefully not all bad news.

I had the exact same problem last year, Stealers wanted £70 plus vat and I ended getting mine from volks-spares for about £40.

Takes about 15mins to change over.

Just make sure you get the linkages set in the right place first time as you dont want to look like a fool as I did when 20mins later it started raining and I was trying to clean the bonnet not the screen. Doh

Just make sure you get the linkages set in the right place first time as you dont want to look like a fool as I did when 20mins later it started raining and I was trying to clean the bonnet not the screen. Doh

Yeah, been there! :lol:

I've got a spare motor you can have for £35 posted, but I won't be able to send it til tomorrow...

Thanks for the offer, dinkus, but I've already got one ordered :-(

Turned out to be around that price anyway, so not all bad :-|