Sign in to follow this  
davidwatsonok

Spoiler help (I have used search)

The spoiler on my C has decided it doesn't like going all the way down any more :x

On the button it will go up, and then down half way.

I've disengaged the motor and wound it manually and it moves very freely, so it isn't sticking at any point in its cycle.

I also removed the wing and lubricated the shafts, although they really didn't need it.

When I listen to the motor when lowering it does seem like it gets to a point where it just stops so I think it could be the microswitch.

Can this be replaced independently, or is it a complete unit :?:

If I need a complete unit, where would I get one, as I would think it will be a VW only part :?:

Any other help, tips, hints or advice welcome.

Ok, How long does it take to go up and down, it should be about 4 secs each way...

There is a thermoswitch in the drive motor that switches it off if it starts to overheat.

Speed seems just as it has always been, and the motor does not seem to be labouring at all. Certainly doesn't feel warm to the touch. As I said, it seems to move just as it should and then stops at the halfway down part without any drama, as if the microswitch is just saying stop.

That microswitch is for the "up" stop.

I suggest you take the gearbox apart and clean the mechanism, despite it being free & easy. The internal motor cut-off for the "down" may be cutting in because it is finding it hard to move and tripping out early.

I think one picture will do!......

RW1, on the pics it mentions two "switching notches" suggesting that the microswitch is actioned on both the up and down sweeps, one at each end of the top rack....

spoiler3.jpg

Spoiler1.jpg

Or am I misunderstanding ?

The other thing that may be happening is that the "down" is not completing before the spoiler control cuts out as it is timed. See if a click from behind the dash by the headlight switch coincides with the spoiler stopping on the downward movement.

Maybe a spoiler controller but again I would start with splitting the spoiler's gearbox and checking.

So, it could be one of three things. The spoiler controller under the dash, the microswitch or the gearbox. My own suspicions lie with the controller or microswitch, so I think I will source a controller first and try that. Is there anyone in Leeds that would care to let me try theirs before I dip into my pocket for one ?

Be aware, there are two types of controller box. The base mounting plug connector differs so they are not interchangeable. You need to state your C's year. Upto about early 1991 manufacture and after that.

Microswitch can be tested with a meter.

Thanks for the advice.

I know a guy who has 2x C's who may let me swap it with his. I'm pretty sure he has an early 16V and a newer VR6 so we may have both bases covered. I am guessing that the controller is amongst the other relays above the main fuse bank behind the dash where my right knee would normally be ? The top right is the indicator relay, I know that one. Any idea which the spoiler controller is ??

I'll also ask around for a mate with a multi-tester !

Update :- Got a tip-off from a mate that a local scrappers had a C in. Popped down and sure enough it was there, and the spoiler was still on it. Stripped it off and took the control unit too for good measure.

Tried swapping the controller unit 1st but it was just the same, so then plugged the salvaged spoiler mech into the connectors and it worked a treat. An hour later I had removed the knackered old one and installed the replacement. Only downside was I managed to break the linkage to the boot lock solenoid in the process, but I have a new one and the old one can be fixed with a bit of Araldite.

Add to that I fitted 2 new springs and shocks, a new stereo, then the G/F decided to drag the rear N/S wheel arch around a stone wall and the legacy of my Corrado continues. Shouldn't be long before I get rid though now.