Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Road Angel Install Idea - UPDATE Pics Page 2 -

give the inside of the cubby hole a few layers of masking tape making sure its well stuck down and the same around the road angel, and to be sure it doesnt get any resin on it you could also put it inside a condom :wink:

then soak the foam in the resin (it will probably absorb a lot of resin) let it harden and that should make a nice solid mount.

I'd like to keep it so I can remove the RA at anytime without having to dismantle or cut anything. Kinda of like removing a box that snugly fits into the cubby hole but looks stealthy from the outside.

Must admit, I'm kinda of making it up as I go along.

Am getting more interested in making fibreglass stuff. Might practice on te boot area first though! How much is resin? Rough cost of a basic shell for something?

i paid £9 for 5 litres and a tub of activator from my local partco counter, if the back of the road angel is tapered it should be ok if the foam is coated in resin as when the masking tape is removed it will give you a tiny amount of slack to neatly be able to remove and refit the unit.

fibre glass is pretty easy to work with as long as you dont use too much activator as it can actually self combust :onfire:

how well do the actual road angel units work?? i'm starting a new job soon involving a bit of milage and would like a bit of " protection"

b.t.w. cool idea

dont rely on the radar detector, by the time it (may) pick anything up its usually too late unless its a handheld gun (they have to get you twice and average the speed).

It does bleep at every upcoming camera along your direction and has never missed one in 6000 miles around the country (M25, M6, M62, Scottish Highlands etc). It does warn you about usual temp camera locations though, although not all. More importantly, it warns you of specs.

Go for the compact new one though, meant to do the same as mine but is £100 cheaper!

Dont you have to have it on the dash so that it can link up with satellites? I would have thought that having it so low down might compromise the reception.

I'd like to keep it so I can remove the RA at anytime without having to dismantle or cut anything. Kinda of like removing a box that snugly fits into the cubby hole but looks stealthy from the outside.

You'll need to be able to do that if you're planning on going to France (and a number of other countries) any time, as they're illegal, but I guess you knew that already ;)

Dont you have to have it on the dash so that it can link up with satellites? I would have thought that having it so low down might compromise the reception.

Read the original post, already thought of that.

ardandy, Looking good buddy. Someone I know did something simlar and put a touch screen wired to a pc in the boot for films and music.

Looked very oem. He used fiberglass, filler and painted the colour he wanted to blend in with the dash.