Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Road Angel Install Idea - UPDATE Pics Page 2 -

This is an idea I'm doing to fit my Road Angel 2 into the car, kinda of a permanent thing but also removable. Please bear in mind this is more of a template and could evolve through suggestions etc.

It will eventually be cut down so it fits in the cubby hole beneath the ash tray/12v socket. The power will come from the cig lighter so it will be hard wired in. I have also bought an external aerial for it.

My plan is to spray it black (maybe cover it in a black material?), so you can't see it properly if you look in the car. In pic 3 you can see a piece of foam covering it, this is how I want it to look when done, so you can only see the display. This was quickly made to show you the idea, haven't decided yet on what material the 'front panel' will be yet.

Any thoughts?

Great Idea, however if you want to use the laser dectection you'll need to get the external adaptor for that too.

i WOULD'VE THOUGHT THAT THE BUILT IN GPS WOULD HAVE TROUBLE GETTING A SIGNAL TOO?

Thats why he's bought an external aerial :)

It's on the inside!

:p

..yeah, but it's an install question, and it's to do with GPS. :smurfette:

Would it be possible to hard wire it inside a rear view mirror? so that you still had a mirror but to one side of it was the screen.

Suppose so. You could power it from the interior light??? Perhaps.

Trouble is, part of the reason I'm putting where I am is so no one can see it and I can leave it in the car.

I'd take the internals out of the RA personally and lose the silly clamshell! Should be easier to mount then.

I've just made a panel where you're proposing out of MDF and it's a peice of cake. I covered it in black vinyl and looks spot on.

If you want to reverse this mod in the future, you can't use the blank area of the panel next to the right hand guage as that's where the cig lighter mount sits (behind). If you cut that away, you'll need a new centre console and they're obsolete, so go easy ;-)

I'm a bit of a numpty with MDF though! Not exactly what you'd call a diy'er!

Plus I dont really have the tools.

Do you think I'd be able to coat the foam i vinyl?

I'm a bit of a numpty with MDF though! Not exactly what you'd call a diy'er!

Plus I dont really have the tools.

Do you think I'd be able to coat the foam i vinyl?

Yep, providing foam doesn't react with fibreglass resin, you can coat the foam in said resin, let it harden and then coat it in vinyl. Audioscape do it all the time for one off awkward shapes.

Next stupid question.

Where do you get resin from and roughly how much? Do you put it on with a brush (if its what I'm thinking of)?

Is this the stuff that people cover mdf in and then take a fibre class cast of?

Updated pictures. (Inside the car)

Remember! This is a first attempt and a quick test, its meant to look cheap and tacky!

Not sure about final materials yet, looking into it.

The buttons will prob be behind the front part, in the year I've owned it I've never had to press them once configured. (and Tiff's shut up!)

The wires are coming out the front because I haven't hard wired anything yet.

It's not in yet, got the wiring to do first.

Resin's tempting but the measurements would have to be exact, foam just expands into the gap and looks flush.

Prob stick to spraying the front or using black cloth or something like that. Poss MDF sprayed.

Theres a hole where the speaker is and at 80% volume, believe me, its piercing enough to hear!

I'm going to put a USB lead in the back of it that will come out in the glove box. From there I can use my laptop to update it. I can pick up wireless easily on my drive so connection wont be a prob either!