Sign in to follow this  
dubboy

Humming Noise

I'm getting a deep humming noise when I get over 30mph which seems to be coming from the drivers side rear.

Gets quite loud when doing 60mph, is it the exhaust blowing or a wheel bearing ?

If it is the drivers side (on a RHD) then I'd check the bearings first...

You'd normally hear a blowing exhaust at idle... wheel bearings make a kind of hum/drone when they are worn... jack it up, check for play and see if you can hear anything when it spins, if still not sure then compare with opposite side...

More than likely the wheel bearing. You could try jacking the car up abit and check if theres more play in that wheel than normal.

Waxoyled the rear arches the other week and when it was jacked up I checked the bearings there didn't seem to be much play. But I didn't spin the wheel as the hand brake was on.

I'll give it another check.

The exhaust is quite loud but that could be blowing as well as the car seems down on power. If it was blowing would that explain loss in power? The car is a G60.

It would do but a seized rear caliper could also be a culprit. I've also know a wheel bearing to get knackered after a temporarily seized rear caliper.

To see if it's an engine issue or a wheel bearing issue, knock it into neutral at about 50mph - if the noise stays, it'll be bearing related; if it goes, it'll be engine related... :)