Sign in to follow this  
Heardy

My VR6 has got high oil pressure!!!

I checked my oil pressure today using a gauge and it reading over 14 bar at about 2000 rpm :shock: :shock:

According to the book it should be 2.0 bar at 2000 rpm so i suspect that the oil pressure relief valve is stuck.

Am i right in thinking that it's inside the oil pump?

I'm hoping that this is the reason why it suffers from a really BAD missfire when it's cold.

any help would be appreciated

Cheers Jason

Hi

The oil pump relief valve may be jammed inside the pump. Seen three before with this when the pump gets miles above 50K and has been run on 0w40 - 5w40 grade type oils. The plunger valve "rattles" with the thin oil and eventually produces a lip in the bore. The plunger valve eventually jams sideways in the bore against the lip causing excessive oil pressure which then pushes the hydraulic tappets and the valves stay slightly open.

To investigate the oil pump will need to be split open. The lip is more visible than can be felt.

Mine has done 109k and has allways had mobil 1 0w/40 in it from new,and it is suffering from the valve's staying open when cold,obviously due to the excessive oil pressure.

Looks like i'll be needing a new oil pump then or is it possible to repair it ?

I've priced one up and they are about £80+vat ish.

MORE EXPENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

erm, sorree it's a bill. Not repairable as its a bore wear problem and I'm not aware of an oversize plunger to fit once bored out.

109k and has always had mobil 1 0w/40 in it from new

Bang on. 4th pump with Mobil 0W40 if you confirm it J. Longest mileage one I've known though.

I’m about to pick up a Highline that’s also been run on Mobile1 - 0/w40 from new, I suppose that it would be a good move to change the oil to a different grade then?

D.

I’m about to pick up a Highline that’s also been run on Mobile1 - 0/w40 from new, I suppose that it would be a good move to change the oil to a different grade then?

D.

Yeah put some 10w/40 quantum in instead.

mobil 1 cost's a fortune !!!

kevHaywire,

Did you get 25L of this, if you did does it come with a pump?

thanks

D.

Hi

The oil pump relief valve may be jammed inside the pump. Seen three before with this when the pump gets miles above 50K and has been run on 0w40 - 5w40 grade type oils. The plunger valve "rattles" with the thin oil and eventually produces a lip in the bore. The plunger valve eventually jams sideways in the bore against the lip causing excessive oil pressure which then pushes the hydraulic tappets and the valves stay slightly open.

To investigate the oil pump will need to be split open. The lip is more visible than can be felt.

Well i replaced the oilpump yesterday and it's cured :D

So no more 0w/40 crap for my car.

Good one. Did you split the pump open to look at the bore of the relief valve?

Good one. Did you split the pump open to look at the bore of the relief valve?

Not had chance yet but i'll have a look and let you know what i find.