Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

3 Points and

Looks like the wave of luck has run out. Got pulled by the police last night on my way home from work. Reason: suspected illegal window tints.

Now I knew it would happen sooner or later, but I didn't realise it was 3 points and a fine. Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law!

So they checked my front windows. Supposed to let 70% light through. Actually only let through 20.5%

No arguments from me. I knew they were a little on the dark side but I didn't realise they were proper Darth Vader.

Had to remove tints at side of road or get car towed away, thankfully they came off in one easy peel. Now I've got a Corrado-van! I'll be removing the rest of the tints at the weekend as the car looks pish with just the rear tinted.

Ah well, had to vent. Just a warning to people in Glasgow that the Motorbike Cops have the equipment to test your car. As I was heading home after removing my tints, they had pulled a guy in an Astra for his tinis also. Watch out!

It was classed as a dangerous accessory so I'm pretty screwed. I was thinking of writing a letter to put in with my fine saying that I feel 3 poins was a bit excessive as it was fixed at there and then at the side of the road but I don't think It'll do me any good. Think I'll just take it on the chin and hope that my insurance doesn't sky-rocket as a result.

i can sympathise but i suppose its like getting stopped for speeding and sayin, "I've slowed down now, so surely I shouldn't get 3 points cos its fixed now! :) " - Sorry if this comment isn't helpful but it made me chuckle ;)

Hi Biggrim

plod were out in clyde two nights ago doing the same thing.

This equipment is very expensive so a higland copper tells me and obviously they are trying to justify it.

I do notice that many cars have this 'privacy glass' as standard and no doubt bill and ben will avoid stopping range rovers as they above the law.

the fecks....

Good point H8RRA lol.

Just pissed off that I've now got 3 points for tinted windows when I see people driving with illegal plates, fog lights on, on the phone etc. I know the law is the law but just a litte annoyed. The cop was like, "nice car, don't see many of these around. Do you take it to shows?" Was hoping for a warning but got reamed instead. Ah well, you live and learn.

regarding exec vehicles etc, its the drivers windows that have to be more than 70%, therefore you can tint driver and passenger door windows up to 30% and the rear etc as much as you like IIRC.

can't recall if drivers windows are totally blacked out or not or whether its just the lack of light in there due to the rest of the vehicle being blacked out. thats why the cops have equpment to grade how opaque the window is. not need to remove tints just ensure the front windowa are less than 30% opaque

I probably see about 4-5 people per DAY nattering on their mobiles whilst driving/waiting at traffic lights etc. This is worse than tinted window imho and i wish they all got 3points / £60 fine.

Its out of order! My uncle got pulled in his Range Rover for the same thing. there were no points involved but a fine of about 60 quid, and he had 10 days to get it sorted, and then a cozzer would come round to his house with the gadgets and eqipment to make sure its been done. It cost him £70 to have the tints properly removed!

What gets me is the inconsistency of the whole thing. You hear of these things happening to people you know or thru the forum, but there always seem to be different fines and procedures. I mean having to take the tints off there and then! That takes the pi$$.

i didnt realise that was an endorsable offence ! the £60 i could deal with but 3 points aswell , sounds like they have a new toy

they do the same with bikers dark visors , theyhave been known to take the visor off the rider and make him ride without one ! very safe - not

the official line on all this bollox is to do with terrorism! and to do with not being able to see properly inside cars!

Same thing with incorrect number plate spacing and number plate recognition systems.

Of course we all want to see potential terrorists being caught and stopped before they can do some damage, but sometimes it does make you wonder whether they just play the "terrorism" card as a way of getting away with becoming more and more of a nanny state and picking on the genuine tax paying motorists!

PS, me mentioning the word "terrorist" has probably meant the FBI, CIA, CID, MI5 are all now hawking over this website! In whcih case.....Hello Boys!

Looks like the wave of luck has run out. Got pulled by the police last night on my way home from work. Reason: suspected illegal window tints.

Now I knew it would happen sooner or later, but I didn't realise it was 3 points and a fine. Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law!

That's a bummer. A mate of mine was pulled about a year ago for the same thing, they told him to remove them and take the vehicle to the testing centre near Springburn to have them re-checked and certified. They didn't fine or penalise him.

Where were you when pulled? Were they hiding at the road side or on patrol? Just asking as I like to know all the hiding places in the area so I can keep a watchful eye out... I've won 6 points already, but don't much fancy the prize ;-)

That's what's really bothering me, the inconsistancy. My mate got pulled by a single copper on a random check and got told to remove them there and then but no fine or points for him. I think they were on patrol. I was driving along the Clydeside out of Kinning Park. At the lights before the bridge where you cross to get to the St. Enoch centre. Watch out. Or remove your tints.

When my uncle was pulled in his Rangey, he actually said to the cozzer, that he sees cars much worse with totally blacked out windows driving around... the cozzers only response was "well i guess its not your day then is it?"

Like you say, you cant pleed ignorance to it either. I think they have just found another piggy bank are are cashing in on it!

the official line on all this bollox is to do with terrorism! and to do with not being able to see properly inside cars!

I figured it was enacted so the cops could spot people still using their phones while driving... this law was enacted around the same time as the 'no mobiles while driving' law, wasn't it?

Its amazing the amount of worthless security theatre the govt. are selling us based on the so-called threat of terrorisim. At the risk of going completely OT, but isn't reacting in any way to terrorist acts exactly what the perps want?

PETROS -i visit your city quite often with work and had noticed that a sneaky cop car usually hides it`s self up carron cresent ( eastfield ) just up the road from springburn, he sits up out of the way with the bridge shielding him. i`ve seen two people get nicked in the last month :lcop:

Biggrim,

the cops in Scotland require two people/cops to charge you

one to actually charge and the other to witness,

so its probably how your mate got off without being charged,

dont rile them alone as they just radio for a witness ( I know lol)

When my uncle was pulled in his Rangey, he actually said to the cozzer, that he sees cars much worse with totally blacked out windows driving around... the cozzers only response was "well i guess its not your day then is it?"

Sorry, but that made me laugh :) Good retort from the copper :)

He's got a point though - just because there are people out there doing worse things than you, doesn't mean they should ignore what you're doing.

Unlucky BigGrim. I think you're probably right in your assumption that you'll probably have to just take it on the chin. What's annoying really is that there are companies out there who are willing to take people's money to fit illegal modifications - because it's not them who have to tot up the points, and it's not them who spends the money on the mod then has to remove it, meaning it was a waste of cash...

I probably see about 4-5 people per DAY nattering on their mobiles whilst driving/waiting at traffic lights etc

Yeah i see this all the time!!!!!!!!

On the spot fine for tints is harsh, should be like a seven day ticket.........

It wasn't an on the spot fine, I've got 21 days to pay it. Still, would rather pay £60 on the spot and get no points than what I'm getting.

I bought the car 3 years ago with the tints on and I knew that they were a tad on the dark side. Luck just ran out. Cheers for the support guys, just keep your eyes open.