Sign in to follow this  
Bendy

car didnt start this morning

hey guys, slight problem. my car wouldnt start this morning, engine was turning over but nothing. i also heard a faint clicking sound coming from the steering column!!!

any body have any ideas?? didnt have time to check anything as it was 5 in the morning and a bit dark, dont think its the battery as everything that does light up did do!! shouldnt be the ht leads as they have been changed a few months back. im stuck so help

yep cheers for the advice guys, ill get my ass to vag later and part with the readies and find a cushion from somewhere!!!

ok i've not got round to changing the ignition switch yet, but what i have noticed is tht when i try to start the car the rpm needle does not move at all, if it is the switch would that be the case, or should it still bounce around???

Have you tried jump starting it?

It could well be the battery on the way out from what you've described.

I'd rule that out before you start shelling out on parts.

Just had a look at the wiki article, wouldn't it be better to have the Haywire method from page 5 of the first thread on there instead?

1) Buy ONLY a VW switch. The GSF one is useless I'm afraid to say, it's no where near VW's standards.

2) Remove both halves of the column cowling. You need to take off the column adjuster knob with a 10mm socket. Very easy.

3) Remove switch plug.

4) Using one of those small chrome screwdrivers (Maplins sell a set of 6 for £1.99!) and looking from above (from the comfort of the seat you don't need to remove) negotiate the driver into the gap between the alloy lock housing and the switch and unscrew the screw.

5) Stick new switch in, reinsert screw.

6) Reassemble column.

Also, there's an english translation (not babelfish nonsense) on Oichan's site here

ok ive had my steering column off this eve, and tried to follow the easy route above but im struggling!!! :x dont suppose anyone has a pic of where this screw is???? silly question i know but im beginging to think im blind as the only "screw" i can find is on the back of the ignition barrel holder type alloy thing!! and the head of said screw is facing my speedo, so if thats the 1 how the hell do i get that bugger undone?? or am i in the wrong place :oops: any help out there????