Sign in to follow this  
canopus70

Engine cuts out..

Seems like the problems has no end this time:(..

So here's my problem..When I start the car I can drive a couple of minutes when suddenly it "dies" when i hit the speed.. But when i let it go down to idle a couple of seconds (hit the clutch) it works for a few seconds again.. I maybe think that it could be the "fullspeed-switch" (don't know if it's called that in english, it's located between the inlet-manifold and the head,only switch there i think)..After what I've heard this switch "feels" when I push the speed and gives signals to the ECU..Could this be dead?? And is there any relay or fuses to this switch?? Or could it be a total different thing??

Which engine do you have mate?

The G60 has a closed throttle and full throttle switch on the TB. I think the 16Vs only have a closed throttle switch.

Does the engine die when you try to use full throttle but runs OK at smaller throttle openings?

Gavin

Which engine do you have mate?

The G60 has a closed throttle and full throttle switch on the TB. I think the 16Vs only have a closed throttle switch.

Does the engine die when you try to use full throttle but runs OK at smaller throttle openings?

Gavin

Oops, forgot that:).. It's a G60..

Yup, that's my problem,but it also runs like shit at half throttle..It's only around the idle-area it seems to run fine.. Got any idea??

Has the vac sensing pipe come off the TB or the ECU?

The pipe must be a meter long or the engine will run badly.

Gavin

Has the vac sensing pipe come off the TB or the ECU?

The pipe must be a meter long or the engine will run badly.

Gavin

No it has been off for a few days, because i needed to change the "throttle-housing" (don't know how else to say this)..Do i maybe have to zero out the ECU to get rid of bad values or something??

That pipe tells the ECU how much petrol the engine needs, it CANNOT run without it.

There is no ECU reset for a G60.

Putting evrything back is the only way to fix it.

Gavin

That pipe tells the ECU how much petrol the engine needs, it CANNOT run without it.

There is no ECU reset for a G60.

Putting evrything back is the only way to fix it.

Gavin

You're totally sure of that??That it cannot run without it??

This cable is located baheind the "throttle-housing" , and it's connected to the "vacuum-hole" nearest the ECU..Is this right??Or have i mixed the two of them up??

Oh, it sounds like you have them mixed up then. I first thought you hadn't got it connected at all. ECU pipe on the top nipple.

Gavin

Oh, it sounds like you have them mixed up then. I first thought you hadn't got it connected at all. ECU pipe on the top nipple.

Gavin

After what i remember the ECU-hose is connected to the top nipple..

Gavin

I can hear my exhaust leaking infront of the Lambda, could that cause these types of problems??Or could it be that the fuel-filter needs to be changed or cleaned??

Today I noticed that when the car has been running a couple of minutes the idle start to get pretty rough, it jumps up and down between 1500 and 2000rpm..Could it possibly be a vacuum-leak or something like that??My ISV is not connected...

If it runs ok from cold then gets worse as it warms up. That sounds like the lambda probe or wiring is at fault. The blowing manifold won't make much difference. You need that ISV connected too.

As the ECU ignores the lambda probe until it see the engine warm up.

You can check the output of the probe with a digital voltmeter. The probe should output a variable DC voltage once warmed up. If you look at the signal wire, Purple/lilac coloured. The voltage will be steady to start with and will then hunt from about .5V to 1V once fully warmed up.

If you rev the engine and release the throttle, you will see it go steady and then down to 0V and back to hunting. This means it is sensing a rich mixture, then the ECU cutting fuel on the overrun and then settling back to idle.

VW spend a long time getting their cars to run right. You can't expect it to work properly if you keep disconnecting things.. :lol:

Gavin