Sign in to follow this  
zman240uk

VR6 Brake M/C with ABS. Why so expensive??

Someone please answer me this. Why is the brake master cylinder for ABS cars four times the price of a non ABS m/c.

Can I save some cash and fit a non ABS m/c or is this a big no no?

Thanks...

Swapping to a non-abs setup is not easy. You need to replumb the brake lines to the rear, install a proportioning valve, get a Brake booster, Master cylinder, reservoir, Brackets, and then install all of it.

Can it be done? yes but its not easy.

Now I'm very worried. My car has an ABS pump but my master cylinder looks nothing like the one pictured.

I wonder if a previous owner has fitted a non ABS m/c?? That might explain why my brakes are so poor...

Can someone else please confirm that the m/c pictured is the one that should be fitted to a 93 VR6 with ABS.

Cheers...

dont worry that is not off a vr6, well certainly not one I have seen. I am certain that the only difference is the outlets, if that. I have used allsorts of MCs and they are all the same.

thats a left hand drive abs setup, the right hand drive one is a master cylinder and then a seperate pump, that is a combined unit

and as Coxy said its due to the extra outlets

VR6 MC is £170 from VW IIRC. G60 / 2.0 16V ABS *and* non-ABS MCs are about £45-£50.

VR6 one is 1mm bigger bore than G60 which is the only external difference I can detect. The only other difference must be at the pedal end somewhere I suspect.

I've been through all this with Stealth and they don't know why the VR one is ridiculously priced either.