Sign in to follow this  
bigtunes

Windscreen Wiper Problem

My windscreen wipers are playing up!

No matter what position the stalk is in they'll come on of their own accord and wipe constantly, sometimes they’ll wipe intermittently, sometimes they’ll give a couple of wipes go off for a bit then come back on.

The rear one was going constantly, turning the ignition off and on again stopped it for a bit, but now refuses to do anything!

Any ideas anyone before I start replacing bits, was thinking stalk or relay? Can’t see it being the motor as its both of them.

i`d re-seat the relay (dunno witch one mind) have a go at cleaning the contacts on your stalk (ooh!!) then replace stalk if no better

double-6s, thats the horn, the wiper switch just plugs in...

oh. i could have sworn there was some sort of contact for the wipers?

i had the same problem and it stopped when i changed the steering wheel. there's another post somewhere on here with someone else having the same problem i think? probably wrong though.....

i have double ball ache now - my wiper motor appears to have gone, and i think i fekked the linkage while trying to get the wiper arm down manually :(

saying that, i have had so many things go wrong on my C that it doesn't phase me at all amymore :)

double-6s, maybe a shared earth with the horn but i'm not sure?

I'd replace the whole linkage anyway dude, only £40 (altho you have to put it together yourself) and it will go eventually (and you know that will happen when it's pi$$ing it down at 80mph on a motorway)

- the motor is more expensive but it's a standard VW part so just get a second hand one... (don't worry about part numbers, just check the plug is the same and they look the same - it will fit)

- the motor is more expensive but it's a standard VW part so just get a second hand one... (don't worry about part numbers, just check the plug is the same and they look the same - it will fit)

If you are not too bothered about havin genuine parts then Volkspares do a replacement motor for about £40 if I remember rightly :D

I'd put money on it being the stalk, my wipers plaed up in exactly the same way, I just put on a spare column stalk I had in a box and it cured it, the wires had simply worn down and were creating shorts - it would be worth picking up a stalk from e-Bay and giving it a try

double-6s, maybe a shared earth with the horn but i'm not sure?

I'd replace the whole linkage anyway dude, only £40 (altho you have to put it together yourself) and it will go eventually (and you know that will happen when it's pi$$ing it down at 80mph on a motorway)

cheers fella. will have a look later and think about getting hold of some parts.

if only it was that easy to fix a fekked engine ;)