Sign in to follow this  
philO

Temp Slider Knackered!!!

Whilst my C was off the road, for 6 weeks!!!!!!!!! (could only work on it some evenings and a 2 week holiday abroad) the temperature control slider for the blower must have siezed so on the car's maiden voyage after the work i tried moving it from cold to hot, but very stiff then suddenly gave way. now when its moved to the "hot end" it just springs back to cold. not very helpful now that winter is coming!!

any ideas, i haven't taken it out yet to have a look.

cheers phil

Yes, they do seize up... It's worth moving them to fully hot every so often in the summer to keep it working...

I'm afraid it sounds like you have snapped the cable, you can check by taking the front off the heater controls, the other end goes down behind the centre console...

I had to replace one in a mk2, the flap should free up again and you can help it when installing the new cable, they are very cheap from VW (a fiver) but it was a git to install as the cable was an exact length and you have to run it in the right place for it to fit, the best way to do this is to use the old one to pull it through, you may also want to take the lower dash shelves off to get to it more easily, and maybe the stereo too - important to keep any wiring out of the way if your running an amp etc as this can foul the cable and cause it to break because its pushed at an angle.