Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

door handle lead unconnected! why?

On taking out my driver door handle for fitting the repair kit I noticed that the lead running from the handle was already disconnected. The female socket that is at the bottom of the door has been taped over. The central locking works fine without the two connected. However on connecting the two, the central locking kicks in immediately and I can't unlock the door via the usual route of using the alarm fob.

The passenger side is connected and working perfectly.

Any ideas on what I can check?

If you use the key in the door does it open the other locks, I believe that is what the lead was for... (Mine's disconnected btw)...

Hazarding a guess here but....think it is something to do with total closure. If you have an aftermarket alarm fitted (or even possibly factory as well), then they splice into the total closure module mounted on the left of the passenger footwell negating the need for that connector.

By reconnecting it it may be confusing the module.

Ok i'll have to check the total closure when the fixed door handle is back on. Would make sense though :)

I am still confused why the driver side is disconnected but the passenger side is still connected!

With it disconected and with the handle back on, open a window, turn the key to lock and hold it there and see if it closes the window for you. Try it on the passenger side as well and see what happens.

Unfortunately can't check on mine as I don't have barrels on the handles (also can't remember if you could perform this closure function from both doors).

ok - cool thanks mate - hopefully someone will be able to clarify that but believe we are on the right track here. as soon as i have my handle back on i will test it. unfortunately the passenger door has the wrong barrel on it...

can you tell anymore about that please Supercharged? i assume theres a switch in the handle and that its probably knackered in my handle - causing it to lock immediately and not allow delocking. would that be correct?

It's just a switch for the CL - they corrode (mine dropped off as I removed the handle)

I think they cause problems when they are like this as the short onto the chassis - mine used to do some strange things but has been fine since passat rear handles and the wiring insulated in the door card...