Sign in to follow this  
tarche2

power cable to amp

Hi guys,

I have a 4 channell JBL amp which will soon be powering 2 infinity 6x9's and 1 10" jbl sub.

The amp is 4x104watts rms. I have just bought a amp wiring kit but I am not sure if this will be powerfull enough as the cable is only 10guage! It does have a 30amp inline fuse but dont want to melt the cable.

Do you think I need to get a lower guage (more powerful cable_ or do u think it will be ok. If I am running 5 metres of say 4 guage power cable into my fused splitter box, then 10guage for 1/2 a metre to the amp will I need to run better earth cable than 10guage even tho its only 1 metre long.

Help please.

Thanks

Tony

As the power cable will be permanently connected to the battery, I would imagine that 10 gauge will be too thin.

AFAIK - amp wiring kits for such a powerful amp are not freely available - or they weren't a couple of years ago when I fitted mine. I went to Maplins & bought all the cables & gold plated terminals seperately. For power/earth cables, I wouldn't use any thinner than 6 gauge wiring.

If the cable melts - goodbye car !!

Makes no difference

Yeah it does!

However, I'd agree that a single 6 gauge cable would be the ideal choice. You could use 8 gauge but that would be the absolute minimum, and I prefer to over-rate cable myself.

I = P / V = (4 * 104) / 12 = 416 / 12 = 35A

10 gauge cable (5.25 sq. mm) is rated at 30A

8 gauge cable (8.37 sq. mm) is rated at 40A

6 gauge cable (13.3 sq. mm) is rated at 55A

* with 60 degree C insulation

Wikipedia AWG

so will 4 guage do the trick as my m8 has offered me 5 metres of 4 guage cable for cheap and its good quality gear! Will 5 m be long enough????

4 gauge is more than enough for most amps. if you are thinking of going for a more powerful system with several amps later, 2 gauge might be useful. 10 gauge is waay too small for a power cable. Use quality gear when you do the power cable, as it is a pain to re-do.

stevemac, sure looks cool, but isn't really worth it imo. Perhaps if you were to move the battery to the back.

you get 0000 cable, if you really want to get jiggy with it.