Sign in to follow this  
randomist

changing temperature sensors (vr6)

my temperature gauge is starting to get a bit temperamental so i thought i'd change the two sensors as its the cheapest place to start. according to europarts there is a blue one & a black one, where are these situated on the vr6 engine?

cheers guys,

I think there are 3 sensors, two for the fan speeds and one for the gauge, not sure which do what though. They are mounted close to the thermostat housing, to the right hand side of the head underneath the inlet manifold. Unplugging each one until the temperature gauge stops working will probably tell you.

There are spaces for 3 sensors in the housing close to the thermostat at the front of the engine, right hand side looking from the front.

The blue one (2 pin) sends signals to the ECU about water temperature and so deals with correct fuel/air ratios during warm-up.

The second one, (4 pins), was originally yellow and may have been replaced by a black one. This deals with the water temperature gauge and with cooling fans.

The third one, if present, is associated with air conditioning.

First of all, carefully de-pressurise the cooling system and allow it to cool down; boiling hot water all over your hands is a reliable route to A&E. And watch out for the fans which can come on even with the ignition switched off.

They are easily and quite cheaply changed; you just slide a circlip out and the sensor can then be withdrawn. Don't be too heavy handed because the housing is plastic and will be somewhat brittle after 10 years at least. If you break it then you are into replacing it and probably the front pipe, which is a far more major undertaking.

Make sure to change the associated rubber O-rings when replacing the sensors. You'll lose some coolant in the process, so have a bottle of G12+ handy.

Best wishes

RB

i'll have a spadge at dinner time to see if i can see them, if not i'll back on asking more stupid questions no doubt! if i can find them i'll have a bash at changing them this weekend.

it looks like there's a sensor thingy under the thermostat, is that one of 'em? got two wires going to it, looks a bit like the sensor that's attached to the top of the water bottle. (i've read that back & it barely makes sense!)

bit of guidance please?

The third one, if present, is associated with air conditioning.

Not quite true for the record.

The four pin version is the third fan speed with air-con (Brown sensor). If it is a two pin type its the third fan speed only that it controls (Black sensor).

there's a sensor thingy under the thermostat,

The sensors are in a horizontal row facing forward on the forward front left corner of the upper engine area above but slightly inboard of the radiator fan motor.

I think the connection you may be looking at is the reversing light switch on top of the gearbox. Come higher and slightly inboard of that.