Sign in to follow this  
Dirtysouth

Alternator Branded or not branded?

Hi i have a 16v k-jet, i am about to purchase a 90amp alternator however

GSF has one for £85 + £50 surcharge

Euro Car Parts wants £161.90 + £50 surcharge ??

Why is there such a diffrance in price? is it worth paying for a better one what are your views thanks

Mooks

i had a gsf one a while back and it was genuine bosch, id suggest you ring each place and ask what your getting

maybe one is brand new and one rebuilt?

I have to be honest and say that I do not find either companies anywhere near as good as they used to be, G&S used to be quite dedicated to the market but now it seems its cheap quick sales, same as Europarts.

Having bought an alternator from G&S for the same money it was definately a refurbed which will have one year guarantee, I dont think much of mine to be honest and think its already playing up after 1 year 2 months(need to have this confirmed).

I personally would not go with Europarts either for an alternator having bought some Track Rod Ends from them as I needed them urgently and the quality was beyond shocking.

No chance you could refurb yours yourself? I believe VW sell the repair kits or atleast used to, guess it could be just a case of bushes bearings and seals.

With that said I would still head to G&S when I can as they are most definately better and in some cases the same part as you would get from VW anyway so decent quality.

Hi i have a 16v k-jet, i am about to purchase a 90amp alternator however

GSF has one for £85 + £50 surcharge

Euro Car Parts wants £161.90 + £50 surcharge ??

Why is there such a diffrance in price? is it worth paying for a better one what are your views thanks

Mooks

have you checked the VAG price?, sometimes they can actually be quite competetive, believe it or not :lol:

yeah if its low voltage try a brush pack for £10....most local rebuild companys can take care of it for cheap, i had bearings done for £30

well once my car has started the batt light stays on untill i rev over 1k then goes out been told its symtoms of alternator??

sounds like worn brushes (voltage reg/brush pack), but it could be diodes on the way out, if you don't get close to 14V across the battery with the engine running a diode may have gone down, in which case you'll need a new unit.

BTW, I got quoted 60 quid once by VAG through VW Parts club for a 65amp bosch unit :shock:

Have you got one to exchange? then if so use this part number 051903017X

Yes i have one to exchange, is this a part number for vw?? didnt match GSF or Euro

Yep been looking to get an alternator for mine but no luck, I dont trust anything 3rd party. Dirtysouth I've been getting silly prices to, from VAG.

Does anyone know if a VR6 Alternator would fit a 2.0l 16v?

I took mine out and it turns out to be a 65amp, I thought that all post 93 2.0l 16v were 90 amp?

I ordered mine today from GSF will let you know wat its like sanj

nightmare ordering it though, rang in the morning found it no problems :cheers: , called later to order it needed chassi number??? :scratch: , Called this moring with chassi number didnt need it found it no problems :brickwall:

Dirtysouth,

Any news on your new alternator, just wanted to guage an opinion before I ordered mine from GSF.

Hello mate sorry for delay got mine form GSF in the end bout £100 its ok not brilliant quality i got a 90amp one in the end

When my car is started my battery light still stays on? then once reved its fine? i thought the new alternator should of cured this

Dirtysouth does the 90amp fit perfectly if replaceing a 65amp. The battery light staying on would indicate that the alternator bushes are a bit worn. But on a new alternator that should not be a problem. I'm still in 2 minds about getting one from GSF, although it is cheaper!