Sign in to follow this  
taw

Advice on Simple ICE Setup

Need some advice on a simple ICE setup I am considering. I am really new to this so advice will be welcome. :!:

I dont want to spend a fortune and want to do as little custom modification as possible. Also want to initially stick with amplification supplied by the head unit. So, having read the various posts I have come up with the following configuration

Replace the door speakers with 5.25" components, placing the tweeters in the holes occupied by the existing dash speakers. If the tweeters go in the dash is this more than the recommended distance from the woofers and if so will I need a head unit that can compensate or will this be ok. Had initially thought of Infinity 5010CS components.

Will probably just disconnect the rear speakers unless someone can suggest sensible 6x4 rears that are any good.

Expect that this configuration will really require a sub, so what would be best given that amplification will initially just come from head unit. Saw some posts that recommended Infinity Basslink but dont know which one.

No real idea of what head units might be good but dont want to spend more than £200. I had considered a Sony CDX-GT300 (£130) or an Alpine CDA-9831R (£150), although I am open to suggestions.

Also any advice (or pictures) on how best to fit the tweeters in the dash and where best to place the crossovers would be useful (wiring routes etc).

Need some advice on a simple ICE setup I am considering. I am really new to this so advice will be welcome. :!:

I dont want to spend a fortune and want to do as little custom modification as possible. Also want to initially stick with amplification supplied by the head unit. So, having read the various posts I have come up with the following configuration

Replace the door speakers with 5.25" components, placing the tweeters in the holes occupied by the existing dash speakers. If the tweeters go in the dash is this more than the recommended distance from the woofers and if so will I need a head unit that can compensate or will this be ok. Had initially thought of Infinity 5010CS components.

Will probably just disconnect the rear speakers unless someone can suggest sensible 6x4 rears that are any good.

Expect that this configuration will really require a sub, so what would be best given that amplification will initially just come from head unit. Saw some posts that recommended Infinity Basslink but dont know which one.

No real idea of what head units might be good but dont want to spend more than £200. I had considered a Sony CDX-GT300 (£130) or an Alpine CDA-9831R (£150), although I am open to suggestions.

Also any advice (or pictures) on how best to fit the tweeters in the dash and where best to place the crossovers would be useful (wiring routes etc).

Think you need to decide now if your going to add an amp later. If so spend a little on on a head unit with 4V pre outs. Corrado are a knightmare for intereference.

My recommendation for headunit, as ever is the pioneer P77: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /1030.html only just over your budget at £210, but you wont get anything better for SQ for the money.

personally i would go with the 5.25 door idea and scrap the rears. the £50 you save on not having rears can go towards a small amp to power the fronts. [check ebay or http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ and get something like a little Alpine or pioneer.] This will really make a differance to the sound. i took out my sub in november, and have rarely missed it.

Why dont you want to fit an amp?

A20 LEE - thanks for the info regarding the voltage on the pre-outs. Good to know.

bristolbarron - I will certainly consider the pioneer p77. Do you know if it has 4v pre-outs as recommended by A20 LEE?

Its not that I am against an amp its just that I don't want the hassle of a whole re-wiring job. But thats just me being lazy :oops: So are you saying that with decent 5.25 fronts and a small amp I will get away without a sub? I like that idea. I could spend the money saved on a better head unit and small amp and then if I really wanted a sub could get one some time later.

Any recommendations on what 5.25 components would be best and can I use the existing speaker wiring from doors and dash or will I have to rewire?

A20 LEE - thanks for the info regarding the voltage on the pre-outs. Good to know.

bristolbarron - I will certainly consider the pioneer p77. Do you know if it has 4v pre-outs as recommended by A20 LEE?

Its not that I am against an amp its just that I don't want the hassle of a whole re-wiring job. But thats just me being lazy :oops: So are you saying that with decent 5.25 fronts and a small amp I will get away without a sub? I like that idea. I could spend the money saved on a better head unit and small amp and then if I really wanted a sub could get one some time later.

Any recommendations on what 5.25 components would be best and can I use the existing speaker wiring from doors and dash or will I have to rewire?

The pioneer has 3x 6v pre-outs! Even better!

Its really difficult to say what would best suit you, depends on music style & budget, also how you like to listen to music. Im listening to a lot more radio then i used to, and my sub drove me crazy. every jingle or whatever would shake though the car!

If you're mainly listening to CD's [the P77 plays WMA's & MP3's also!] then that a sub may be of benefit.

Working one stage at a time you get to see what difference each componant of your set up makes.. and gives you time to budget!

JBOB on here was selling a 4 channel amp, that would be good enough to use 2 channels for comps, and later adding a sub... it may be worth PM'ing him to see if its still available.

As for what comp's to buy, again it can depend on music style and budget.. any idea what you wanna spend?

bristolbaron - just checked a local supplier and can get the pioneer for £190 (ex display but with full warranty). Realistically I probably listen to radio 90% of time. I suppose I could spend £100 on components give or take a bit.

Bought the Pioneer P77. Ending up getting it for £180. Very happy with this buy - looks great (retro) and seems to have some quality internals. Cant wait to get it hooked up.

Bought some front alpine 5.25" component speakers SXS-1357 (guy in shop recommended them - but I dont know if they are any good). Dont know what to do about handling the base though - whether to go for 6.5" component rears or just a sub. Dont like the idea of cutting holes in the rear parcel shelf - unless I can get a secondhand one somewhere.

Any thoughts anyone on how to go?

My advice would be to go for a Sub in the rear and stick to the Components up front, you dont need speakers in the back as you sit up front.

Wire up what you have, you might find your happy enough with the sound for now. If your unhappy with the bass look into getting the sub at a later date though.

You could buy a sub with its own built in amp which will just power the sub, and leaves you to run the speakers from the head unit.

You dont need a huge sub either. only downside is you will lose boot space.

I have a 10" in mine, and i cant for the life of me remember the make, but i am well pleased with it. sounds great, and can be controlled from the head unit. Will look at the make and let you know on this thread what it is.

Bought the Pioneer P77. Ending up getting it for £180. Very happy with this buy - looks great (retro) and seems to have some quality internals. Cant wait to get it hooked up.

Bought some front alpine 5.25" component speakers SXS-1357 (guy in shop recommended them - but I dont know if they are any good). Dont know what to do about handling the base though - whether to go for 6.5" component rears or just a sub. Dont like the idea of cutting holes in the rear parcel shelf - unless I can get a secondhand one somewhere.

Any thoughts anyone on how to go?

Thats a cracking deal! and those comps seem good too. As said, wire up the fronts and see how you get on. i'd go for a sub over rear speakers though.

Thanks guys for all the help. This is what makes the corrado forum great. :)

I think I will take your advice and forget about rears. If Im not happy with the base then I can look about a small powered sub.

I am going to fit it all over the weekend so I will let you all know what I think of the sound.

i cant for the life of me remember the makeWill look at the make and let you know on this thread what it is.

Its a Vibe. You always get loads of advice of whats good and whats not good. At the end of the day its your ears and your listening tastes that will decide what you think is or isnt good.

I can say that i am 100% satisfied with the 10" Vibe sub box in my car, apart from the fact that it uses up a bit more boot space than i would have liked it to, plus it doesnt sit flat because of the spare tyre bump. But who cares! Its not that often i need all the space or look in the boot. From a sound quality point of view its perfect for me.

taw, nice gear you got yourself. It will probably sound great once you get it all wired up, and even better when you've tweaked the head unit as you want it. After enjoying this for a while though, I would invest in a decent dedicated amplifier. This will lift the quality of the sound your components produce several notches. However, if you don't listen to a lot of cds or mp3s, but mostly radio, this gain won't be very noticeable (since the fm signal won't ever get close to cd quality).

About the rears, I really like having a more surround sound-stage than just the components in the front. This might just be me, though, so do whatever you feel like. A subwoofer really makes music more fun to listen to, though. The wiring isn't really that bad (just a couple of screws and clips, if you can fit a head unit, you can wire an amp. Or just pay someone £50 to do it for you.

Well I got the kit installed yesterday. I am very pleased with the head unit but definately think the front components need a bit more bass support so I will look into getting a sub. Thanks DEL VR6 for the name of the Vibe sub you found good. Bennyd thanks for the offer of stealth shelf and speakers but I dont want rears and think I Will stick to a sub to fill the hole left by the front components.