Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

First breakdown

Well, today gave me my first experience of sitting at the side of the road with the bonnet open.

My car overheated in traffic, never had that problem before, and had the thermostat replaced 3 months ago, so hoping its not that! Also, my water temp gauge doesnt work, so my first clue to it overheating was the coolant level light flashing - which I thought was because it might be low on coolatn, it's done this before when it's needed topping up. Cue steam coming from under the bonnet - oops!

Re-filled it with water (after phoning work and telling them I wouldn't be in) and limped it home, with the oil temp still reading quite high (obviously I can't watch the water temp). So not sure what it is, and it's raining, so can't be assed to go check. Fun!

I dunno mate, I'm gonna go and check when it stops raining. I couldn't hear it, you can't hear much over my engine tbh.

no doubt that you`ll get all the advice you`ll ever need once you been able to give it a dose of looking at to give us a few clues to your problem :thumbleft:

my fan switch died a few weeks back...same problem solved with new switch. deffo worth a look. you can just bridge the contacts on the connector to test its not a fuse/bad wire etc..

If the switch dies, does the light blink constantly? My light is constantly flashing even though its cold and i have a good constant water level.

Think my problem is the fuse - had a check and it was burned out. Gonna go get some more (as spares too) later on.

If the switch dies, does the light blink constantly? My light is constantly flashing even though its cold and i have a good constant water level.

the switch in the coolent tank can die, i had to replace that too.

Think my problem is the fuse - had a check and it was burned out. Gonna go get some more (as spares too) later on.

good stuff :-) not sure if the 60 has that black box in the engine bay but may be worth checking the fuse on that to, just 30 amp fuse wire if i recall.