Sign in to follow this  
Beetlebug_2001

Paint and Door handle problems

Ok first off door handles, went to the scrap yard today for a door handle was told the passat rear door handles would fit from a guy on here, took the rear handles off tried em on my C and found the stalk which opens the door was 2 long, looked at the unbroken door handle and the stalk on that one was shorter so tried the front ones off the passat still 2 long, they look the same on the outside but have different internals, anyone ever put rear door handles off a passat on there C and was there any modification needed? if it aint possible to do that i need a drivers side door handle for a 1990 C if anyone has one.

Secondly went to my local vw dealers to get some paint ordered in and the guy couldnt find the paint i needed on the computer, i gave him the color code from the boot and it didnt work, so he typed in my reg number and found the details there same paint code i gave him but couldnt find it on the ordering system, he said it must be discontinued, the colour is quartzite metalic grey, any ideas on what i should do? dont fancy buying any cheap copy stuff but if i have to what brands do u recommend?

As they say, a picture paints a 1000 words, so have a snout at the attached, which is what you'll need to get if your paint is discontinued.

They should be able to find the correct paint code (there are two for each car strangely enough) from your reg number. They did with my car which was how they were able to tell it was obsolete. The number on your sticker is not the number VW need to cross reference the parts database. They need the 2nd one which they can only get from the reg/chassis number. All very daft.

Anyway, Anglia Autocolors in Ipswich made up my Ice Grey Violet metallic (LK4U) because VW have made it obsolete, which was very kind of them!

The quality of this paint is very good and the colour match is also good.

Hope this helps

Kev

i cant see how a paint has been discontinued all you need is the formulation and any body shop can mix the colour probaly twice as deer from the steelers anyway

funky

my car is the same colour as yours and i had my paint shop mix it up for me easy.. the code you need to state to them is on the sticker in the boot.. i think its La7y the code but i could be wrong...

When he was trying to get the paint code up it wasnt accepting the one i gave him from the boot which was 4 digits summit like LD7Y that wouldnt work so he typed in my reg number and came up with all the details for my car and he said the color was quatzite metalic grey so he checked back on the computer and found the color in the database and the paint code was D7Y so he went to the order page on the computer and typed in the code and it couldnt find the paint to order, he said the only thing i can think of is that they discontinued the paint. i know of a guy around my area who does colour matchs but i really wanted the original stuff for a good match, 8vg60 did u try get the paint from the dealers also and get the same re3sponse or did u not bother with them at all? just wondering if its cos the guy looking for my paint was a bit clueless with computers so thats why he couldnt find it.

Car dealerships sell cars, they don't tend to store 100s of cans of paint for every colour of car they've ever made. I think you'll find the paint is made in exactly the same way as a paint shop would mix up the colour - just VW think its a good idea to delete all the techy specs about older cars from their computers after a few years, just to make our lives difficult!

i cant see how a paint has been discontinued all you need is the formulation and any body shop can mix the colour probaly twice as deer from the steelers anyway

funky

Some colours have been discontinued, period. It just means VW don't supply the touch-up pens/sprays anymore.

Auto paint mixers are not cheap, about £15 per tin, which is a lot more than VAG paint.

Kev

Have a touch up pen i found in the car for the colour i have but its made by halfords, any good companys like that u guys recommend or would it be best to get some matched up to the car? only needed a small spray tin to touch up the bottom corner of the door.

Beetlebug_2001,

when you change the door handles you also need to use the locking mechs's that go with them from the passat, they come off in seconds, 2 alum bolts and the part number is 839, the old ones are 837 - best to get the ones without the child-locks.