Sign in to follow this  
Mustang64

The cooling system in my Corrado. Can you help!?

My corrado cooling system! Hi, just signed up so not really sure how this works but I need help with a cooling problem! Ive just brought a 1.8 16V Corrado 1991 model, there seems to be a problem possibly with the cooling system, the car is new to me so could do with some help!. Basically it runs at around 100-110 on the temp gage on the dash which i dont think is right, the coolent level in the expansion tank keeps droping and the fan runs for around 30-40 secs after the engin is switched off, can anyone shed anylight on a possible problem? Cheers russ.

Welcome to the forum!

The fan should run on as well as the fuel pump when the engine is switched off so don't worry about that for now...

So it appears to be running hot and leaking coolant... look for signs of a leak first (white stains on the block and pipes etc) if you can't find anything then it may be an idea to change the expansion tank cap (new ones are blue so if yours is black then chances are its the original one - this includes a valve that can seize up with age)

It may just be running hot because the system is not closed or it could be the guage sender getting old (they tend to over-read with age) so I wouldn't worry too much for now...

You need to look at how it heats up from cold and try to determine is the thermostat is opening ok, this happens at 80 degrees and lets water into the rad - the bottom pipe should then get hot, eventually if left stationary the rad fan should kick in at about 95 to try to keep the temp around the halfway mark, if this goes higher before it comes on (110) then the first stage if the fan thermoswich is duff and a new one is required (cheap and easy to change)

Have a look and let us know what you find...

hello m8 :)

the cooling fan running on after switching off is normal 8)

the running temp does sound slightly high,normally an average of 80-90? in this weather i think.

with the coolant dropping,it could mean the head gasket is on its way out :cry: any white smoke (steam) from the exhaust?

or possibly a leak around one of the hoses,or the plastic bend on the top of the radiator (possibly g60 only)

id give it a good looking over for obvious leaks and then maybe think about having the system pressure tested at a garage maybe?

Neil.

edit:whoops,jinx supercharged :lol: