Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Brakes

Im looking to upgrade my brakes, to some drilled and grooved options, but have no idea whats any good, and also where i can get them from?!

Any reccomendations? And before its said, i cant afford Brembos :cry:

black diamond discs and pads are a good bet.

Brembos (i know...I know) cost me 220 for discs and pad kit

STORM 2, where are you to in Dorset?

When you say you got brembo disc and pad kit for £220, did you get it stupidly cheap, or just the discs and no calipers?

Ooo..Also, ive just been to a garage and been told i need to replace my rear brake disc, but the mechanic told me that its one big section, attached to the handbrake release or something along those lines. Is this true? I assumed you could just unbolt the pad and swap on a new one.

I'm in Bournemouth mate...the Brembo sports brake kit includes discs and pads only. You're thinking of the Brembo big brake kits for over a grand :-)

So i could get the Brembo sports brake kit, and use these with my existing G60 calipers? If so i need a link please!!!!

Dont know if this is anything like on the bike. Pads and discs can make a huge difference; each giving their own feel. Do you like them grabby or gradual etc etc. Hard call on the bike.

Would it be a good idea to upgrade the hoses to braded too? (huge difference on bike again, even though such a short length)

if your looking to up-grade on the g60. look out for the ibitza cupra r kits. comes with brembo 4 pots 308mm discs and pads. kits go on ebay for 350 ish. fits straight on the g60 hubs. just need some hoses to fit. but you'll need at least 16" wheels and you'll need to check the et of the wheels to clear the 4 pots. or fit spacers. excellent bit of kit. i've been using mine for nearly 3 years. superb.

So i could get the Brembo sports brake kit, and use these with my existing G60 calipers? If so i need a link please!!!!

the kit I bought was for a VR6 but if your calipers are the same, yes. I'm sure they do a kit for the G60. I bought mine from POTN 3 weeks ago for the VR for 240 all in......theyve since put their prices up :

http://www.potn.co.uk/-_c2918_7522_7547_p1156913.htm

I did see several places on the net selling the same kit for around 220-300 so have a good shop around.

Im going to be upgrading my front brakes this week, and want to get them ordered asap.

Ive got a few options and was after a few personal opinions on them from experience or whatever.

Options in my price range are:

Tarox G88 discs with fast road pads.

Brembo sport kit ( as reccomended by Storm2 )

Red Dot 40 groove discs with fast road pads

Black Diamond Combi with pads.

I prefer a gradual feel over grabby. :norty:

Also, could someone explain the difference in braking effects between drilled and grooved?

nick

I think in all honesty, the differences between grooved and drilled are irrevelant at the braking speeds we are talking about.

In Fact some would say that at this level the improvement in braking performance based upon smooth discs and drilled/slotted is marginal anyway.

Much more important is the caliper compression and the master brake cylinder in braking onset and performance.

A gradual feel is what I have with the brembo discs and pads up front - my rears are almost seized so I cant really assess overall braking performance until I do the rears - Even so I'm not expecting any miracles changing discs and pads alone whatever they are for the reasons above

They do look good though!