Sign in to follow this  
Bournemouth James

central locking problem

just picked up my new corrado today, only thing wrong is the central locking doesent work, its causing a bit of a problem cause the car is delocked, and i cant lock the car up

Any ideas?

i have a clifford consept 300 alarm, which still works but does not lock the doors,

i've check all the fuses in the fuse box and there all ok

When you press down the locking knob on the drivers door, does the central locking go then?

The other thing to try (which looks well silly! :lol: ) is to get into the boot (remove the parcel shelf!) close the hatch and alarm the car to see if you can hear the central locking pump going.

If you can hear it go when you alarm/de-alarm the car then you've got a split hose somewhere or your pump is goosed...

If you can't hear it, pull the muliplug off and check for +ve and -ve and see if any of the values change when you fire the alarm. If none of the values change, your alarm ain't connected properly. If they do, then your pump is goosed...

Good luck! 8)

I had the same problem with a MK2 golf and it was the central locking pump. The door pins would go up and down intermittently. Most embarrasing when you chirp the alarm in front of people and the car is still locked!

I stuck a pump from an Audi 100 in it (need to cut the foam surround slightly) which seems a bit stronger and quieter.

Kev

I stuck a pump from an Audi 100 in it (need to cut the foam surround slightly) which seems a bit stronger and quieter.

Cool, was it the same connections? What age of car did you use?

Cool, was it the same connections? What age of car did you use?

Yep same connector. Not sure what age Audi. The scrappy just said it was from a 100, a late MK2 I'd guess. It's slightly bigger than the Golf/Corrado one but the foam packing can be easily trimmed to suit. I paid £5 for it.

Kev

Yep same connector. Not sure what age Audi. The scrappy just said it was from a 100, a late MK2 I'd guess. It's slightly bigger than the Golf/Corrado one but the foam packing can be easily trimmed to suit. I paid £5 for it.

Kev

Wicked, id like that if it shuts up a bit, the STD. one is quite noisy. :?

And that controlls the boot an the doors?

And the fuel cap, yup.

one other thing, the central locking still doesent work even if i orperate it manually

from inside the car by pushing the door pin down or up

Is that a sure sign it must be the pump thats faulty?

is there one pump for each of the doors and boot?,

or is it one pump that controls both doors and boot?

where can i find this pump?

There's one BIG pump in the boot and pipes from that to each door and the boot (AFAICR they're normally rigid orange plastic pipes)

The pump works both ways, ie. it creates a vacuum to lock the doors and pressurises the system to unlock them (this may be the other way around, I can't remember!) If you have a leak anywhere then the pump will run, but none of the actuators (the bits attached to the locks) will move 'cos they aren't getting the pressure/vaccuum they need to work.

Check to see that the pump isn't working and that it's got power before jumping in with a new pump... :roll: :lol:

have you tried all the pins? i think they're is a relay that goes faulty too. not sure about that though, we had a look at my mates pump and it was fairly burnt so it was obvious on his!

I think i can hear a relay clicking when i push the pin down, but no noise coming from the pump, ive tried both pins

Thanks for the help guys, i will look into it tomorrow, now i know a bit more about what im looking for

Hopefully you've saved me a trip to the vw garage!!!

thanks

is there one pump for each of the doors and boot?,

or is it one pump that controls both doors and boot?

where can i find this pump?

There's one BIG pump in the boot and pipes from that to each door and the boot (AFAICR they're normally rigid orange plastic pipes)

The pump works both ways, ie. it creates a vacuum to lock the doors and pressurises the system to unlock them (this may be the other way around, I can't remember!) If you have a leak anywhere then the pump will run, but none of the actuators (the bits attached to the locks) will move 'cos they aren't getting the pressure/vaccuum they need to work.

Check to see that the pump isn't working and that it's got power before jumping in with a new pump... :roll: :lol:

Spot on Mr Henny. Vacuum and pressure. The connector is a three pin job, an earth and the two motor direction pins. The door handles have electrical connectors in them to trigger the pump. It could even be these that's causing the problem.

The plastic tubes rarely break unless people muck about with them but check the common movement areas, such as where the doors open etc. Make sure the grommets are OK.

The easiest and cheapest thing to do first is get another pump from a tip. If still no joy, could be your activation circtuitry.

Kev