Sign in to follow this  
Gangstarr

atf fluid

Hello i was just wondering if anyone could tell me the specific type of power sterring fluid i need to use .I have a 1.8 16v corrado on a j reg , I tried at halfords and they didnt have a clue and i dont have a manual yet so ime unsure what type to use .This is my first car so i need all the help and advice i can get .

you have to get it from vw or GSF think there only 1 type now to use it come in 1 litre bottle and its green

There is a debate on this. Some C's have a fluid res with a black cap and some have a red cap. Some owners say the red even states on the cap ATF blah blah fluid. Those with a green cap say use something simmillar to LHM fluid. Like the Citroens use. I have a red cap and red fluid however my cap does not state ATF or anything on it.

My understanding was that ATF fluid shouldn’t be used as it perishes the seals…

I may well be talking rubbish tho

I have heard that also. and I have also used ATF, and wondered why my PS pumps uesd to die after a year....

Use the proper green stuff, from VW or the FEBI stuff from GSF.

I have heard that also. and I have also used ATF, and wondered why my PS pumps uesd to die after a year....

Use the proper green stuff, from VW or the FEBI stuff from GSF.

Well this is what its all about really. I read a few posts earlier in the month as I have magically disapeering fluid!! No leaks nor drips on the drive. However after a long run my fluid level is down??

I went n got some fluid from a local shop. Before I had investigated the C. They just handed me a bottle of red.

Was going to drain the system and replenish.

Guess it does perrish the seals n stuff. Prob need a new rack now :p No fluid pooling in the gaitors or anything. Ho hum still stuff to do.

About to sort this prob out myself from red to green >> is there a drain plug or what is the secret to doin a complete fluid change?

You'll probably have to flush it twice to get rid of all the red. You just have to take off the pipes off the pump and drain it that way. Then fill up with green. If I were you I'd change it again after a week or so to be completely sure all the red is out of the system.

Get the green FEBI fluid off GSF it's about 4 times the price in the stealers and looks to be the same bottle with a different label on it.

Right... need some opinions >>

Changed the fluid from red to green in my PAS system and now im getting a reasonably loud wirring kind of noise from the pump >>

Changed the fluid 3 times in order to flush the so called red out (mine was brown) and even after flushing out 3 times it was still brown ish but looked better.

*when draining the fluid each time it had lots of bubbles in it > could it be that i have an air lock in the pump??? if so how do i loose it??? or is it that the pump is dead now ive changed fluids - if it was origionally red that is

2 Steps forward, 3 steps back :(

Stone0311, stick the car on axel stands and start her up with the top off the pas bottle, now move the steering from lock to lock a few times to expell any air.... hopefully this will do it - did you run the pump dry at all??

Didnt run the pump dry at all, its still sat on axel stands - i ran it from full lock to lock when i was flushing out the old fluid

Perhaps it just needs a good run to shake out the bubbbles