Sign in to follow this  
Bobert healetty

need some assistance with getting my engine back together

ok i sent the head of to be cleaned and inspected and i ended up getting a 3 angle valve grind new valve guides new valve seals polished camshaft and everything cleaned. i replaced 99% of the top end gaskets...no wi just dont know where to start i put the manifolds back on the head i have soo much stuff to do before the car runs again....and i need this car running as soon as possible...i need to flush all the coolant REALLY WELL i need to change the oil and flush everything out really well...im sure some of the g-charger oil seals shavings are all clogged up inside the bearings and i cant afford to take the block apart also...so i need to find a way to get all them oil seal shavings out of the engine i need to also replace the distributor rotor...i was going to replace the timing belt but the belt is brand new....so this is where im at

head is pretty much rebuilt and nice and clean with all new gaskets manifolds are reinstalled and that is where im at....ive never gone this indepth with engine work before so i need some advice as to what path to take now...i want to do this right the first time i cant afford to do this multiple times because i fucked something up so any help is appreciated

btw i should probably add that this engine was rebuilt with FLAT top pistons so the compression was raised...the head has been shaved to the max and im only using 1 head gasket this motor is very high compression but i wont be able to tell the exact ratio until i get it all assembled and can take a compression test

if you really think theres shavings gone through the oil ways , then a strip down is the only sure to know, if you dont want to go that far id remove the sump/oil pan and clean that and the oil pick up, hopefully most of the bits will be there

the oil seal shavings that i have noticed have been very very small but there was quite a bit only 1 seal got shreaded and the metal part of the seal stayed intact so it was tiny rubber particles i need to get this car running asap but i want to do it the right way the first time because i cant afford to do it all over again i think the timing part is whats going to give me the most trouble....because the head has been shaved almost to the max and i have flat top pistons and am only running 1 head gasket i have a feeling something bad is going to happen to the valves if i get the timing even the slightest bit off because even when the car had two headgaskets the valves were VERY close to the pistons at TDC

deffinatly because as it is right now the head has been shaved a real lot and the intake valves stick out past the deck of the head and the pistons are very very close to the deck of the block..im wondering if that is another reason why there was two headgaskets on there...because even when there was two the valves were very close to the pistons at top dead center when i looked through the spark plug hole....so im just going to pop the head gasket on real quick and slap the head on tomorrow morning and seel how close the valves are to the pistons at top dead center i do not have the proper tools to measure everything so ill have to do it by eye

put a pice of plastic over the piston when you turn it over, youll know if the squish is to small even if a very small amount as there will be marks on the plastic.

i know its a bit late now youve had the head refurbed...but wouldnt it have been better to source a unmachined head to rebuild?