Sign in to follow this  
Trig

Fitting Lowering Spring Caps (VR6)

Purchased some spring lowering caps for my VR tonight from venom. My ride isn't quite low enough for my liking and I think the extra 1cm will make all the difference, only problem is I don't know how to fit them...

So has anyone fitted spring caps? How do I do it and what tools/equipment do I need? If someone could provide me with enough info on how to do it i'll then have a go and produce a Wiki article for others to follow in my path.

Right, done from my crap memory, so may be a bit vague (especially size of spanner required) in places.

First you need a spring compressor (Something like this: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040211224&r=2205&g=107 )

Jack front of car up and support on axle stands, take front wheels off and unclip abs sensor cradle from suspension strut, now undo the two bolts (spanner size 18 and 19?!) holding the bottom of the strut on to the wishbone...

Remove the nut (18?) at the top of top cap assembly while holding in place central moulded in nut on shock arm?! (may require Allen key instead of spanner for this) to stop everything from spinning and not undoing, also holding onto strut inside arch for support as the whole lot should now drop out... remove from car....

Best to secure on a bench (vice), remove rubber top cap thingy (slides off) and compress spring until free from top cap, undo next (18 ) nut, while holding in place central moulded in nut on shock arm?! (8 or 9) to stop everything from spinning and not undoing.... The top cap should now slide off. Put in place new top cap and ensure spring etc. is in position to be seated properly, tighten nut holding smaller etc. on to top cap, and slowly release spring clamp.. check its all seated properly and tight....

Put all back together in reverse order and that should be that...

Little bit long winded for me and my descriptions probably aren't great, but hope this helps at least, please feel free to correct or add to this if needed.... :)

Thanks Talc, it's you and your perfectly lowered car's fault i've got to do this anyway! :)

Will I need a wheel allignment afterwards then?

yes alingment is neccesarry, remember to mark up on the strut where it was, you`ll be able to get it close like that