Sign in to follow this  
DaveVR6

Is it worth getting a second car?

At the minute I live 5 minute drive from work, mostly through traffic and the C hardly breaks 20mpg.

I have been considering getting a real cheap low emission car e.g Fiat Panda (i know!) can pick one up for 200 quid + 40 a year road tax.

Itll use half the petrol and save putting pointless miles on the C, also will allow me to work on the C without having to worry that I need it drivable for the week.

Does anyone else do this???

dave ive been thinking about this as when something goes wrong with the c! could do with a back up car so can get the C fixed without rushing etc! no i think its a very good idea i just dont have enough money at the moment to buy another car!

its only a car registered after 3/01 that will qualify for £40 road tax due to their emissions a £200 panda will be over 10yrs old and will cost £110 per year

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/taxation.htm#Private

Hmm, didnt read that properly.

And as I understand it the tax exemption law for cars over 25 years is allowed anymore..

the over 25yo car tax exemption was stopped when labour came into power btw.......... :roll:

How about a push bike? I'm saving a bundle by using the pushy for local transport and it's actually quite pleasant in the summer.

the over 25yo car tax exemption was stopped when labour came into power btw.......... :roll:

hahaha... :oops:

Could get a push bike, not good for transporting bits n suff tho and when theres a thunder storm ill have no way of getting to work (without getting soaked)

Ive look at buses, but to do a 5 minute car journey would not only be more expensive than driving a VR6, but also take 50 minutes and involve a change..

Yeah, granted, the UK isn't the best place to be if you're relying on the weather! The need to transport a lot of stuff would render the pushy useless also, like you say. Could you not just use the Corrado on wet days or when you need to take a lot of stuff with you? Or is that likely to be more often than not?

yea, good point... might invest i a bike....

The idea of transport stuff was for when the c is in bits and I need to get some parts...

i got a winter car late last year ,my g/f's old mk3 gti ,bloody things costing me more than the raddo to run ,and its no where near as quick !! looks alright though ,and its kinda cool not really worrying where you park it

Been thinking this myself... as well as using it for a winter car next year. I'm not putting my C through another Austrian winter else it'll never last....

Lucky enough to have mine in the garage at the mo, But if my situation changes I would consider an old mk3 gti for a birrof-alarf. Good fun, and much better mileage than the Vr,

BTW Cyanide and happiness are propper funny (if a little strange)

Dave,

I was in a similar position to you about 5 years ago and I was seeing barely double figures for mpg on the mfa whilst travelling 3 miles in a traffic queue. It actually saved me money by buying a cheap reliable car (Mk1 Polo for £400) and taxing and insuring it.

DaveVR6, Someone from my neck of the woods! Started to think that no one owned a C round here! I live just out of Alfreton in Swanwick. I've got 2 cars but it's my C i run about in so cant really compare, and for some strange reason i sometimes walk to work?!

I got a mk 2 golf as a run about when my corrado was in the paint shop in 2004 proved so cheap to run ,in petrol alone was saving me £10 a week not to mention wear and tare on the corrado (front tyres only last me 8 to 10k )and i could put the c on a limited mileage insurance which saved more money

my £510 golf added my corrado winter wheels

golfsideview500.jpg

but the best thing was on july 21st 2005 a nice young lady came around a corner on the wrong side of the road and did this

golfgone3.jpg

golfgone1.jpg

with only one car this would have been another dead corrado

first thing i did when i got back on my feet was get another run about

polobbs2.jpg

cost me £500 added wheels and new tyres an a bit of chrome to the bumppers and i'm happy

some people say it's a crime not to drive the corrado daily but from my personal experience i must say having a second car has allowed me to enjoy the corrado even more the corrado's not just a car to get from a to b in its always a big treat when i drive it and i still drive it lot just not shopping in town and to and from work

Rob

i use my girlfriends mk4 polo. only live 15 minute walk form work tho but its worth it. gave me chance to get the c to the body shop

Funnily enough, I also use my Girlfriends MK4 Polo for my 8 mile drive to work - a nice little 1.4 8v in dragon green and it's a quality little car that costs very little to run. I also car share, so it's very rare that I drive the C to work - only when I wanna treat myself!!

Having a daily driver just makes the C far more enjoyable to drive at weekends - just feels more special!

DaveVR6, Someone from my neck of the woods! Started to think that no one owned a C round here!

Tell me about it, i only ever see 2 on a regular basis, a valver and a g60.

but the best thing was on july 21st 2005 a nice young lady came around a corner on the wrong side of the road and did this

Christ that looks like it hurt! bet your well glad you werent in the C.

Another good reason for having a second car!!

I should have my second car soon, a V6 Audi 80. My C is getting ruined with me taking it to and from the stables and keeping my horses tack and rugs in it, its filthy inside and out and my lovely retrimmed front seats seriously need a shampoo!!! There is also the issue of taking my lowered C down little bumpy farm roads and the fact the road into the yard had a big 'hump' on the way out which catches splitter, sump and exhaust if not taken at the right speed! :roll: I am ruining the car using it like this, so a big 4 door with a huge boot seems like a better plan, plus it will tow a horsebox.

my prob is that i need to sort out insurance so that the C can still be driven as i still want to take it to work and use it as much as poss and try and keep the Audi just for the hard work! :)

My main car is a polo gti - not exactly a cheap runabout (but cheaper than a C!!!!!)

As much as I'd like to use the corrado everyday, I think the polo is cheaper in wear & tear terms