Sign in to follow this  
g60greeny

recon g60 engine

right,things haven't moved any further fwd,but anytime soon i should be ready to start, looks like i just missed out this

PG engine, gearbox, ecu, loom - everything except charger. £700 or near offer.

The following has been done (and is incuded) on the engine. VR6 clutch (under 10k), new distributor, knock sensor, temp sensors, head rebuilt by Race Power Motorsport new valve guides/stem seals. Gas flowed ports, reprofiled valves, matched inlet manifold and throttle body. Sinta silver and filter at least every 5k for last 25k. Good results from compression tests. Comes with new sump and gasket.

does that sound like a good price?

so i reckon i'll keep an eye out for another one to pop up i think

tooth belts make a hell of a racket. a constant whine. cool at first. but also the belts are not as strong. mine snapped after 6 months and caused the engine to overheat. cracking a piston in half.!!. keep the normal belt get at least a 68 or even a 65 pulley. sns stg5 chip charger rebuild. taking the engine out is easy. save some money on labour. speak to darren

look at a bottom end rebuild and hone etc, a cnc head. full service- water pump. oil pump .

also look at a bigger intercooler and ask darren about his 4 branch manifold. . all af that lot will see 240bhp and loads of torque. a monster.

oh and dont bother drilling the air box. just a normal filter in it will serve over 260bhp.!

i love the 8v g60. good 'little' simple engines. easy to work on. remember torque is the key to a quick car. and that's what makes this engine so much fun.

If this is any use to anyone, I have a G60 bottom end in the unit complete with gearbox ?

The head was off the car when we got it, so ive no idea on the condition of both unless I stripped it.

Is this any good to anyone, if so, make me an offer

I am a FULLY QUALIFIED mechanic, so if I stripped the bottom end, you can have a detailed report.

Or PM me with any enquiries you might have, and i'll do me best.

Cheers,

Paul

tooth belts make a hell of a racket. a constant whine. cool at first. but also the belts are not as strong. mine snapped after 6 months and caused the engine to overheat. cracking a piston in half.!!

Not true...

A toothed pulley set will only make lots of noise when it's over tensioned... I've now got a solid tensioner from Darren on my G60 and it's quietened it right down to the level where you can't hear the belt at all when it's on idle... It whines a little when you give it some, but it's not loud and isn't annoying - if anything, the induction and exhaust noise damn near drown 'em out anyway...

Any belt is only as strong as the belt that you specify... I know where I can get a belt that's easily 10 times stronger than a standard belt, but it's £120! The toothed belt that Darren supplies as standard is easily as strong as the normal poly-ribbed belt that was used originally...

I've ran toothed pulleys for over 2 years now and have only recently snapped a belt when the original tensioners damper failed causing it to allow the belt to go slack and then suddenly go tight when you floored it... sticking on the solid tensioner solved that (and made it quieter too).

As for a belt snapping and causing the engine to overheat and crack a piston - Didn't the temperature gauge's sudden quick upwards movement, loss of power from the engine and the bright red light on the dash (warning you of no alternator charge) tell you that something was wrong and to stop and have a look before you damaged something? :roll:

yeah the car went very quiet. . really quiet. only drove the car for about 3 miles. and very slowly. still managed to do damage.

i have used a soild tensioner from the begining. and darrens belts. we think a a stone got under the belt and snapped it. as it had a clean cut throu.

i've now gone back to the the std air box. and the induction is so much quieter. lovely.