Sign in to follow this  
sharlie1982

Engine Mods???

Hi all,

I have owned my G60 for almost 12 months now. It has just passed 180k on the clock and still drives perfectly. The charger was replaced 35k ago which means its all ok in that department. :)

What I am unsure of is if it has had the obligatory pulley and chip upgrade. :?

The reason I ask is because the car seems rather fast for only 160bhp. :lol:

I fitted a CAT(to pass the MOT) over the weekend, and cannot notice any lack of power. If anything its better,as the replacement pipe was always a crap fit (blowing allthe time). :(

Whats the easiest way to check for these mods? :?

Just because it's fast for 160bhp - doesn't mean it's not standard!!!

The addition of the supercharger gives it plenty of Torque, which is the key to it's power - not bhp!

However the way to check for the smaller pulley is to measure it, it's the only way!

How do I measure the diameter?

Is it across the front(inc the lip round the edge) or will I need to take it off and measure it with a pair off calipers??

Also, is it safe/easy to check weather it is the original VW chip or not???

Ta

it's pretty obvious how you measure it once you get out there. Try maximum diameter, that should do the trick. The original should be 78mm, but I've heard of 72mm, 68mm, 65mm and 62mm (and probably smaller too) pulley sizes.

The charger was replaced 35k ago which means its all ok in that department.

It's due a rebuild - I'd just get the above checked when it's being done, highly recomend the SNS no lag chips!

The charger was replaced 35k ago which means its all ok in that department.

It's due a rebuild - I'd just get the above checked when it's being done, highly recomend the SNS no lag chips!

Depends who serviced the charger and how many years 35k miles was.

If you are on a standard pulley then I would see no reason why you can't get 5 years or 50k between servicing a charger; although how enthusiastically you drive the car and if it is still running a standard boost return setup will also have an impact. But smaller pulleys will mean a more frequent service is required. The other problem will be that if it has a certain Ja**a sport sticker on the charger then you will need to book it in for a rebuild as soon as possible.

G-werks are very highly recommended by the G60 guys on here for rebuilds. If Daz wants to give a different frequency or mileage for rebuilds then I would follow that. :wink:

The 35k has been covered over the last 2 years!!!

The boost gauge I have fitted(TIM TURBO) is reading about 0.75bar at around 5500-6000 rpm.