Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Will this Water Injection mix damage my engine in anyway??

Calling all Water injection people.... before i head out and try the aquamist forum.

Just thinking about adding in a 10% quantity of Nitro methane fuel into my water/ methanol mix?? i ve heard this can give quite good gains??

I ve worked it out that, my percentage amounts would be

60% distilled water

30% methanol

10% Nitro methane fuel (R/C car fuel)

I wouldnt have thought this small amount would cause any damage to the internals would it??

But does the Nitro fuel have some sort of oil in it that acts as the lubricant for the little engine?? Wouldn't that be harmful, bit like putting diesel in the car????

not totaly sure?? this is what i am trying to find out, i have just had a look on the aquamist site and there is a big topic on this particular subject, its 9 pages long so must have some info on it, i think the oil in the R/C is a caster based oil, and with this water down may not have an effect?? again its all questions at the moment, although there have been a few very suprising gains from going down this route albeit with greater concentrations on the R?C car fuel, up to 70BHP on a particular cosworth :shock:

Just make sure you don`t wreck the WI pump, they do a viton seal kit for it of you`re unsure.

I`m going over to (near) direct port injection, always use plain de-min water, going to try and advance the timing/ lean the mixture to gain power with the water as knock-prevention, using Spark and fuel map 2 if the WI fails it defaults to the safe maps just in case..

just looked on the aquamist forum, a guy on there tested a few combintions and the best for performance was just distilled water! and also mentioned that if planning to get the car setup methanol was an easier fuel to add into the mix for extra performance, but if you plan to keep the W/I just for cooling then Distilled water will do the job just fine.

so i may scrap the R/C car fuel idea and just run with my 70/30 Water/methanol mix.

it is also mentioned that you will only get a real effect if nitro is mixed with methanol 50/50 this will give the greater gains.

i am no expert on W/I so cant really say if any of this is true or not.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=451&start=120&sid=477d9ed492f6764e23fd3395a2cd997a

yeah got a tap from ebay, managed to find a cheap tap and die set (£5) that included the tap i needed :)

I have mounted mine in the boot at the moment and it seems to work quite well, my water tank is only supported by cable ties at the moment as i havent had time to make up brackets yet but it seems to be holding.

Got to tidy it all up a bit, but the main thing is that it all works! :)

Running 50/50 you`d definitely have to make sure the pump was viton sealed. Some people use WI as a 5th injector with the meths etc as added fuel, problem is you have to account for this while mapping to a degree, or run rich. Run plain water and it`s transparent to AFR`s, so you can map it very easily without worrying what you`re injecting is effecting the wideband readings. It`s all down to personal preference what mix you run, I prefer to use it for detonation, heatsoak control rather than extra fuel.

The Aquamist site is your best bet, there`s a lot of info to take in.