Sign in to follow this  
logicaltuning

starter relay

got a bit of a problem. need to find where my starter relay is as ive got a starting issue, and according to my mechanic (who my dad had spoken to, not me) its probably its the starter relay, only trouble is, im not sure where it is, so if anyone can point me in the right direction i would be most greatful

regards

ant

ps, its a 92 9a

There isn't a relay - there is a starter solenoid on the motor itself

The critical relays are the ones for the fuel pump and ECU.

Is it cranking over?

It's not your ignition switch at fault is it? Check for a live feed to the solenoid when someone turns the key to the 'start' position.

ignition switch is fine, tested it all, it was new on when i bought the car anyway, as i said, the car starts when i use a wire off the battery to the starter motor, so its either between the ignition switch or starter solenoid, and the starter solenoid is easier to check than a peice of wire in other wires, inside the car! lol

ignition switch is fine, tested it all, it was new on when i bought the car anyway, as i said, the car starts when i use a wire off the battery to the starter motor, so its either between the ignition switch or starter solenoid, and the starter solenoid is easier to check than a peice of wire in other wires, inside the car! lol

So is there a live feed at the starter solenoid with the ignition in the 'start' position? If there is then the starter solenoid has had it, if not it's either the ignition switch or the connection between the switch and the solenoid. Simple as that.

I don't know what sort of tests you think need to be done inside the car but it's not as complicated as you make it sound!

yeah, in the start position, there is a feed,

i just dont fancy digging around a pile of wires to find a split in one of them is what i meant

i'll give the starter solenoid a test first and see how that things doing (or not doing )

where is the solenoid situated on the starter motor, my cars under covers at home in my garage at the moment, so i cant just nip and have a look :lol:

The starter motor is the pre-engaged type so the solenoid will be a smaller cylinder on the top. It'll be obvious when you have a look. How did you test for a feed at the solenoid if you don't know where it is?!

thinking about it

the solenoid on the motor will be working

if it wasnt then putting the wire into the starter motor and onto the battery - it wouldnt start

so it MUST be the wire between the ignition switch and the starter motor

nah, someone had, as it fetures aftermarket components, which im in the process of removing anyway, but i hadnt got to the fronts yet, and ive had this problem since long before removing any stereo parts?

worryingly though we did find 3 wires with spade connecters hanging above the fuse box, that dont attach to anything, and dont appear to have anything to attach them too. could this be one of the problems?

thinking about it

the solenoid on the motor will be working

if it wasnt then putting the wire into the starter motor and onto the battery - it wouldnt start

...and therefore there CAN'T be the feed to the solenoid from the ignition switch that you've repeatedly claimed there is. If there was you wouldn't need to short out the ignition switch with the direct connection to the battery.

so it MUST be the wire between the ignition switch and the starter motor

...or the ignition switch.

nah, someone had, as it fetures aftermarket components, which im in the process of removing anyway, but i hadnt got to the fronts yet, and ive had this problem since long before removing any stereo parts?

worryingly though we did find 3 wires with spade connecters hanging above the fuse box, that dont attach to anything, and dont appear to have anything to attach them too. could this be one of the problems?

if you take out the air vent and headlight switch etc,you will see awhat looks like a brass ring with connectors on it,there should be 3 wires attatched to it,yesterday i knocked off an earth wire and the car wouldnt start off the ignition switch,but i could start it from under the bonnet