Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

ABS fault, MOT thursday

Booked the Corrado in for a MOT for thursday and now the ABS has started to play up.

When the ignition is turned on the light comes on then goes out as normal, then as soon as the car starts to move the light comes on. Does this give any clues as to whether its a sensor or a corroded cage?

Forgot to ask but do they actually check the ABS works for an MOT or just the breaking efficiency? As long as they don't expect the ABS light to turn on then off normally, I could just temporarily disconnect the light eh?

they will check that the light goes out after a few seconds,if it comes back on then they should fail it,it could be a dirty sensor,give them all a clean and see what happens

I'm fairly sure that'll be a sensor fault. The car will fail the MOT if the ABS light doesn't come on with the ignition and go out within 60 seconds.

Sods law, have a tax and MOT issue which needs sorting asap. Not sure you get the 2 weeks grace anymore (if you ever did, might just be pub talk that).

So test each sensor for 1.2Kohm +/- 300 then. After reading a few previous threads, I take it the front ones can be bought from GSF for about £30, whereas the rears cost about £120 from VW?

Handy to know, really hoping its a front one and I can get one quick. If not i have a 12v timer relay ready for retro-fitting. :D

Checked at lunchtime, front offside sensor is open circuit. Checked the cable down to the sensor from the engine bay aswell and that's ok so it should be the sensor. Onto GSF now, lucky its one of the cheaper ones I suppose.

Did notice the cage is in good condition but slightly warped, gap looks about 1mm 95% of the way round then tightens up. Doesn't touch though so hoping that won't make any odds.

New sensor fitted and working, got the car down to the garage in the nick of time. Cheers for the help, see what else is wrong with it now.